​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Train Tickets

Dunno about the cheapest - you inspired me to check and I see Exeter to Oban is £204.50 (single). Can anyone beat that?

Simples! Split yr tix into multiple journeys . . . is a bit of pain, but saves you bigtime (£127.20 over the straight-through price). Here's a schedule + prices for a Thursday. The commuter train tix won't change - others will go on sale around Feb 17.

Mind you, you can fly Exeter > Glasgow (12:15 > 13:45) for £68 with Flybe including 20kg hold baggage on Thursday 11 May. Currently there are four seats left at this price . . .

Hi,

Cheapest cost for Oban from Exeter will be to get a train to London Waterloo (£21.00 Advance - not yet available ~ mid- Feb); tube to Euston; Caledonian sleeper to Crianlarich (£40 on 10/5 o/nite wildcamp, train to Oban next day; £55 on 11/5); Criablarich to Oban (£12.40 Anytime).

Total £73.40+tube

Regards,

Oliver

P.S. This price assumes no railcard discount applies; thence ~£62.27.

Re: Train Tickets - amendment

Hi,

Sleeper service also discountable, so price with a Railcard could be as low as £48.93.

Oliver

What site are you using to find train tickets? I've tried Scotrail, Scotland Railways, and Rail Europe and all of them tell me that May 11th is too far in the future to book. I must be missing something...

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, sure advance tickets for 11/5 on 'normal' services are not yet available. The release date of currently cheap fares can be found at

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/44703.aspx

Cheap tickets become available around 12 weeks prior to the travel date.

However, Caledonian Sleeper seats/berths are bookable up to a year in advance. Currently, for travel out of Euston on 11/5 the cheapest seats are £55; they were £40 earlier. Still £40 for 10/5!?

Oliver

Use this link to sign up for cheap ticket alerts Tickets are released 12 weeks in advance. You can then use the site to buy your tix. You can print your ticket back home in Florida - just remember to bring the credit card you used for the purchase with you . . .

Thanks! I was able to find what I needed on virgintrains.co.uk.