​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Questiong about water filtration systems: Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System

I always treat water. After my hubby picked up Giardia in the North Pennines - from clear, fast running water - I would never risk it other than in an emergency. Giardia does exist in the UK, and believe me, you wouldn't want to have it! He was ill for about a month....

Re: Questiong about water filtration systems: Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System

Hi Andre

I have a Life Straw Go bottle. When on a group hike I usually go for a MSR Hyperflow, but I obtained the LifeStraw a few years ago for Fjällräven Classic, to be able to get a refill quickly without pumping water, to keep up with my (younger and faster) hiking companions. I used to go years without any filters, since I live in Finland and mostly hike in Lapland, a land with what is generally thought as the purest water in the world, but since a nasty case of Campylobacter infection six years ago, that left me with a chronic reactive arthritis, I haven't taken any risks. You never know when a dead reindeer has collapsed into the water upstream...

The LifeStraw is a relatively handy apparatus, although I would prefer hydrating via a tube system, to make sure I drink enough (like it really is that much of a trouble to reach for the bottle in your pack's side pocket.. apparently it sometimes is!). Actually, I don't use the bottle that comes with it but a one litre wide mouth Nalgene, to have a leak-proof hot water bottle to keep my butt and/or feet warm during cold nights in a sleeping bag. The filter lid doesn't fit 100 % perfectly to the bottle, so if, and when, I bend down to take close-up photos of flowers or other objects at my feet, it tends to leak a bit, but I have made my peace with it.

Carrying the extra grams in the form of a filter really is worth your while, when you see this:

P8106501.jpg

Norway lemming poop in the bottle

Having written all that I think I ought to introduce myself as well, since I'm new to the forum, and new to the Challenge. My name is Minna and I'm from Finland (apparently the only Finn in this year's TGOC). My first Challenge will also be my first time in Scotland! I'm so looking forward to the crossing, and meeting all the fabulous people there. I've spent months and months on end reading everyone's blogs and route planning tips and looking at the pictures doing "oohs" and "aahs" . My route is still in the making, but I'll be starting from Mallaig (I might have lost my mind temporarily - I often get seasick on boats, so that'll be a fine start for the Challenge, taking the ferry to Inverie ). In case anyone's interested, I started a blog in which I try to document my planning process, and, hopefully, the actual Challenge later on. Sorry for invading the filter thread with my introduction, though.

Hi Minna,
Thank you for the heads-up on the Life Straw, and hope to meet you on the Hills!

Greetings from Holland,
Andre Hilhorst

Tot ziens, Andre!

Welcome to the Challenge Minna, I look forward to meeting you in Mallaig!

JJ

Thanks John! See you in May!