​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Loch Riabhachain

Sue,

I've been this way a couple of times though not for several years. The path through the woods has always been faint through lack of use and will probably be even less distinct by now. However, the way seemed clear enough, on an obvious break between the trees. Loch Riabhachain is a pretty spot, reeded and with lots of birdlife. You can cross the area south of the loch; it looks unpromising, potentially marshy, but as long as there hasn't been a preceding wet spell it'll probably go without difficulty. I retained dry feet on both occasions and the burn was an easy ford.
There's a lovely wooded area to the east of the loch (good pitching too, as I recall), with easy going underfoot. You ascend to meet a stretch of heather moor but the rough going is short lived before you enter the trees, a mature plantation with plenty of room and tolerable going. Soon enough, you'll meet a track descending to Corrimony. Beyond the hamlet, the impressive chambered cairn is worth a few moments of your time.

Hope that helps

Colin

Hi Sue,

I had a similar question for my route, that particular few kms of land 'funnels you' NE towards the A831, or SE to include Glen Coltie within your route because you're so close to it anyway.

If you're heading towards the Lochletter wood, perhaps a diversion via the Allt a Chlachain to the south and a cut cross country may let you avoid the area to the immediate S of the loch, then proceed via Breckry in to Lochletter itself.

If you don't specifically need Cannich, you could proceed via Fasnakyle bridge to the SW, use the track to access Corrimony by taking the track to the E of Loch Carn Bingally, then proceed to Breckry

The third option is to make progress via Kerrow as far as able, then proceed along the road for 1 km for Corrimony access.

Great, thanks for that you two

If you look here -
http://maps.forestry.gov.uk/imf/imf.jsp?site=fcscotland_ext&
you will see that it is possible to follow the south side of the Kerrow burn and DIY it to the south side of Loch Riabhachain. I've crossed the burn about half a mile south of the loch before. There are lovely tracks through the forest going east after Corrimony and these will take you almost to Drumnadrochit.