​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How to get from Aviemore to Braemar

I cannot think that I would want to spend a day sitting around at the Fords of Avon in foul weather, with nothing to do except stare at the water and wait for it to subside.

Having done Glen Builg, I would also say that I do not relish the thought of using it as a FWA. Look how the path crosses and re-crosses the stream. Those were all "trousers off" crossings for me in fair weather. What would they be like in a howling gale, with the stream in spate, and the rain tipping down? If using this as a FWA I would be looking to head for Corgaff - but that, in turn, begs questions about re-connecting with your main route.

Much as I hate to say it, there really is no better choice of FWA for getting across / through / round the Cairngorms than the Feshie - Geldie link.

With that in mind, I would also eschew the Camping Ground at the foot of the Lairig Ghru. Yes, it gives you a few kilometres head start, and may be necessary if you are trying to get right through to Braemar in a single day's walking; but if you wake to adverse weather, you've got to backtrack a LONG way to get into Glen Feshie. Far better to stop overnight in Aviemore (where the Youth Hostel is excellent) and aim to make it no further than White Bridge. This can be done in a day from Aviemore whether going through the Ghru or Feshie - Geldie.

Re: How to get from Aviemore to Braemar

Thanks a lot Jeremy. I'm happy to hear all this as it largely matches what I ended up planning in my route. I've got an extra day to play with to get to Braemar so don't need to rush.

Thanks again