​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Taxi to Torridon

Thank you for this great information! I will keep this in mind as the event gets closer.

I do have a Verizon plan and a phone that is unlocked so I might be able to just use a Scottish SIM card. One of my concerns is the use of my phone with ViewRanger and my ability to download coordinates and maps should it be necessary. I do have a Delorme In Reach which I will bring with me but it also connects to my phone. So many electronics, I am hoping I will not need to use them! :)

I am sure I will have a need for so much more advice and guidance as we get closer to the event. Please feel free to send any suggestions or ideas that you might think of....

I so appreciate your feedback!
Renee

I started from Torridon a few years ago. I travelled by train to Strathcarron and walked into Torridon. It was a lovely walk, but you'd need to allow a day.

Rennee.

I started from Torridon a few years ago.

Travelled to Strathcarron by train via Inverness.
Then by bus to Torridon
See https://bustimes.org.uk/services/HIAO702
Run by DMK Motors route 702

I phoned the bus company to book a seat on the bus which had limited capacity.

This may not answer your taxi question but it may be an acceptable alternative.
Best wishes,
Sandy

As we too are starting from Torridon I rang DMK Motors who run the bus service but was told there was no need to book seats but to make sure we were in Strathcarron for 1245. He reiterated this several times so it must be imperative ! This is on the morning of Friday 12th however, as we'll be staying in Inverness overnight and catching the morningtrain to Strathcarron. A shame no one else has responded to the call for a taxi to Torridon from Inverness...though at 63 miles it would have to be a large taxi-load to make the split cost worthwhile over the £20 train fare I think.

If you want to use a US phone in Europe, make sure that it is compatible with the frequencies in use outside of the US. Most of the world, including just about every country in Europe use 900 & 2100MHz. All service providers in the UK use one or both of those frequencies. Many operators in the USA use 850 & 1700MHz. A phone supplied as part of a plan in the USA may possibly only be compatible for use with frequencies not used in Europe. Mobile phone coverage in the Scottish highlands is ropey in many places so you need to make sure that you have a phone that can pick up any signal that is available. You may want to consider buying a cheap, throwaway phone with a pay as you go SIM, once you get here, even if it is just as emergency backup. Your US phone and SIM if it works here and you have international roaming, will most likely be able to log onto any available network whereas a UK bought SIM will only be able to log onto its own network but you will be able to make emergency calls on any network.

On that subject, the emergency number in the UK is 999, that will put you through to an operator who will ask which emergency service you need (Police, Fire, Ambulance, Mountain Rescue or Coastguard).
Dialling 112, (and possibly 911 but don't bank on it) when using a mobile phone, will put you through to an emergency operator as well.

If you want to make a non emergency call to the police in Scotland, use 101 and if you want non emergency medical help, phone NHS 24 on 111.

Hi Renee
I'm planning to start from Torridon and was about to put a post on the forum to see if anyone wanted to share a taxi on the Thursday afternoon from Inverness. So if you'd like to come on board with me I'd be very happy to organise one. I'm not sure what time my train gets in as haven't got that organised yet
If anyone other challengers are interested in sharing do let me know

Come on, all you Torridon starters! Wouldn't you like a door-to-door taxi from Inverness?
It will also be possible to go from Strathcarron or Achnasheen. Let's all get organised, and we will be able to arrange something for a very reasonable price.

Try John at http://www.seethehighlands.com/

email: enquiries@seethehighlands.com

He picked up the 5 of us in Inverness in 2014

Would recomend this!!