​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TGO rejects heading for Cape Wrath?

My CWT was over 17 days walking with 2 days off.
I kept my distances down to an enjoyable level.
Logistics for restocking can be a bit of a problem as can be the bombing range closures.

Start Glenfinnan Coryhully bothy 5km
A’Chuil bothy 14km
Gleann Meadail 20km
Kinloch Hourn 21km
Ratagan 22km
Killilan 28km
Day off replacing gubbed boots
Bendronaig Lodge 25km
Tea House bothy 22km
Leckie 21km
Shenavall 23km
Ullapool 25km
Planned day off in Ullapool
Duag Bridge 25km
Glen Oykel 29km
South of Kylesku 23km
Rhiconich 36km long day as had to finish on a
Sunday due to bombing next day
Strathchailleach 22km
Cape Wrath 9km

This was my route and not as per any guide book.

Has anyone on here walked the Cromalt Hills north of Ullapool? I'm looking at an Ullapool - Cromalt Hills - Inchnadamph route as opposed to going via Oykel Bridge. However, there seem to be very few paths in the area, so was wondering if it is large area of blanket bog and best ignored.

Any thoughts anyone?

Well, I have just relinquished my position on the waiting list in return for a guaranteed TGO place next year, so the CWT planning becomes more real.

I have a weakness for hills and ridges between. So, although the fantastic Harvey maps for CWT have just arrived I'm not quite satisfied. I need to see what is on either side. For example the start up Cona Glen has an interesting and complex ridge to the west, so I think the Cona Glen will be my FWA for the first day or two.

Send me an email if you are planning to be doing the CWT, and we can swap notes.I intend to go around TGO time or a little before.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, I'm planning to go a couple of weeks after the challenge to allow all the Challengers free reign of the accommodation and train tickets. I've finalized my route and plan to take 14 days with some fairly short days which can be doubled up if I get behind schedule.

Hi

I will be doing part of the Cape Wrath Trail in May. Starting at Inverie on the 21st May and heading North and hopefully get to Ullapool 8 days later.

I need some advice on the Falls of Glomach. I came up a few years ago and I am not looking forward to descending with a heavy pack.

Is the route from the top of the falls NE to Loch Lon Mhurchaidh and the burn at NH040280 a viable alternative? Crossing at Carnach.

I will be coming from Sheil Bridge and going via Iron Lodge and camping at Maol Bhuidhe. Are there any possible campsites before if I need it?

I will be checking out some routes for TGO18. I hope to meet others on the way but if I meet any one the TGO17 one of us will be slightly off route….
Thanks William

William I tried sending you an email to w.burton@caribsurf.com but it has bounced back!

Ian

Hi Ian

It should be w_burton@caribsurf.com

William

William,
I did the Cape Wrath Trail in 2013 when I did not get on the Challenge.

The biggest problem was finding the path down the side of the Falls of Glomach.
I was up and down the obvious path a few times.This led to a photo point of the falls.
I discovered the very faint path I should have been on, over to the left.

Looking at my own blog is reads as follows.

"After taking a few pictures of the falls I found the correct path down the side. This was not easy to spot as it was a bit indistinct.
The path was a good but tricky descent to Glen Elchaig with a bit of scrambling involved.
I had my MP3 player on and I thought it a bit ironic with Gene Hunt singing life on Mars while I was trying to keep life on earth intact.
It was raining and blowing a gale which was not a good combination given the situation."

The weather was a bit grim but once on the correct path it was fine even with a heavy pack.
Perhaps I should concentrate on real reality rather than an MP3 player.

Obviously this is my own experience and it turned out OK but it eventually comes down to a personal decision at the time.

I have no knowledge of the alternative path you suggest but whatever route I am sure you will enjoy anyway.

Best of luck, I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Hi William!

I came up the Glomach path last year. In fine weather I would not be concerned.

The other route you proposed is closer to my plan for this year. I came up there a couple of years ago - but onto the ridge with Creag Glas. The further path on the map was an atv track across quite wet ground, but fine for walking on. The nearer path, down Alt Coire Easeach was quite eroded and not a good option.

I haven't completed my overall plan yet, but being tempted onto various ridges and mountains I think I will not get beyond Ulapool this time.

Thanks to all for the advice on and off line. My route is in the final stages, but there are So many options and some are dependent on the weather. But it will be a dry and warm May.

Cheers, William

Good luck with the walk William. Are you going all the way or finishing at Ullapool? I'm starting from Fort William on the 12th of May and am planning to take 12 days to get to Cape Wrath.

Hi

I will be taking the morning ferry to Inverie on the 21st May and hope to get to Ullapool 7 or 8 days later when I have to return to Gatwick and home.

I have a flexible route planned with many options included. Both Foul and Fine Weather Alternatives. If the weather is good I may check in a B&B in Movich for 2 days and see what the five sisters are like.

Hope to meet somewhere.

William

Well, I have finally completed the Cape Wrath Trail.

I started in May at the same time as the Challenge, but injury, pack weight and toothache wisely saw me drop out at Dornie after just three days. Seven weeks later I restarted in July from Dornie and finally made it through to Cape Wrath. I had some good days and some not so good days, but the feeling of achievement whilst walking the final few hundred yards along the track to Cape Wrath lighthouse is not something I will forget in a hurry.

To anyone thinking of doing the CWT I have just this to say. Technically the CWT isn't difficult, you've just got to keep going over some long boggy sections. I was determined to walk all the road sections as well, but eventually hitched a lift to Rhiconich during a storm (in July, yes I know!) and no I don't feel guilty about it. Sometimes you just need to get off the hills, especially in bad weather.

Well Done Paul! Thanks for telling us about it straight. Hope to see you on the Challenge again next year.