​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hidden Challenge Gems

There a lot of peoples whose mind will (we hope!) turn to planning their route once the festivities are over. As a bit of inspiration, especially for first timers why not share some of those unexpected gems that have delighted you on previous crossings? Those places that might not be obvious from perusing the map. It might be a fantastic wild camp, somewhere you passed through that was unexpectedly beautiful or somewhere you stayed that went that extra mile to make you comfortable when you were wet and weary.

We'll start things off:

This is the Craig of Balloch N0273611. In 2011 we were blown off course, quite literally, by a huge storm and the following day whilst trying to get back to our route we found this beautiful path wandering through a jumble of boulders in a narrow gorge.

Re: Hidden Challenge Gems

Well this is sweet. For many these may well be memories or encounters, without an associated image. In my own case I'd like to share an idyliic spot in the upper reaches of the Feshie, at NN 840 877. Many Challengers will know the Feshie from the trade route - but she rises high in the nameless hills just east of the Minigaig and meanders due east before the dog-leg meeting the Geldie Burn, which we all know. This pic is taken looking due south.

These upper reaches are a gem - scarcely visited, and, so Alan Sloman tells me, the haunt of otters. I came upon this little beach and spent an hour or so dozing before taking a slow and delightful poodle downstream. One to savour!

An idyllic pitch during Challenge 2013 somewhere in NN8817

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stravaig-scotia/31692524732/in/album-72157674335357264/

Who could ask for anything more?

I cannot get the photo to post so you will have to follow the link!

Here is Peter's photo

Well done Judith, thanks and Happy Christmas to you.

Thank you, Peter, and Merry Christmas to you too.

I have so many memories of unexpectedly good camping spots or amazingly beautiful hills and glens, but the memory I have chosen is from my second crossing in 2007.

After a very cautious first crossing, in which I stuck mainly to paths, in 2007 I took my first steps off the beaten track.

Starting from Strathcarron I walked over Bealach an Sgoltaidh and was overwhelmed to find Loch Monar. How could that huge loch be hidden behind the mountains? Was I the first person to find it? Was Scotland full of such gems?

This experience gave me the confidence to wander over and around the hills rather than sticking to marked paths.

Surprise is something that seems to be a feature of the exploration involved in Challenging. Thinking over my Challenges I have a few, but the one which stands out is probably not so hidden now. (It was so new when I encountered it I could smell new-sawn wood - can still remember the fabulous smell of the place).

In 2013 on day 5 I had a 'lovely' yomp to end my day:

Just before Coignfearn Lodge I turned south over the bridge and began to climb up the Elrick Burn. I had been warned that I MUST cross the burn at the bridge, or woe betide the consequences on the wrong side. I got a bit worried when I thought I had missed the bridge, but eventually it appeared. Climbing up the valley brought me to patches of snow that had not been blown away, and reaching the watershed brought me to the delights of bog-snorkelling, interspersed by avoiding treacherous sinkholes, below which I could hear tumultuous water flowing.

Shattered, as a result of my second peat-hag session of the day, suddenly the view into the next valley opened up. Somewhere down there was my objective for the night – another bothy described as ‘small but useful’ I continued on the ridge for a while, thinking that it was going to be less soggy underfoot than down at the bottom, then dropped down the valley-side to seek out my shelter for the night. I was so tired I really hoped the bothy was usable, as I couldn’t face having to pitch camp…

https://gpjb4q.by3302.livefilestore.com/y3mip-h2KLBCS9rAQLssjNX5QwgwL9dGQ7ZQRxUdeqJjA-ez6-JsUxnTO-tPvNcJrVSXLfolyuerWJaEpsYY4By0_2HRrqZHmFYDCRtVlauhwZP1qiO4hObyI-cPAD8vs9h1KwbHUOd3c7LG7C2hLskVQkKYqjJppkgvb6kQCL_eCQ?width=3072&height=2304&cropmode=none

Sorry - I can't manage to make the picture visible on the message board, but the link will take you to the picture on my OneDrive.

For the full story see
http://lindywalks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/tgo-challenge-2013-part-one-shiel.html

Ah yes Lindy, you found the very wonderful secret snuggly of the Werewolves of The Upper Dulnain! The Hidden Bothy! It's such a glorious cozy - a serious wood-stove, a mighty welcome and room for all!

NH 718 093

I'd strongly recommend any Challengers coming through Glen Feshie or Glen Tilt to take a 10 minute diversion up Glen Dee ar White Bridge to the Chest of Dee.

Chest of Dee pics

Great idea! As a first timer these are all very helpful and inspiring.

A lonely gem of a lochan that really stands out for me is Lochan nam Breac NM918995 which we came across en route from Inverie. A glorious spot surrounded by stunning hill country.

Plus you can ease your aching feet with a paddle on the little sandy beach.

And as you leave it, heading East (is there any other direction?) Loch Quoich, or Cuaich if you prefer, can look rather fine from its western end too.

I don't have a photo ... it was in the days before digital photography ... but on my first Challenge in 2000 I went south out of Spean Bridge, and by the obvious low-level route round the South end of Loch Treig to Corrour Youth Hostel.

Only, having been through the bealach and down the other side, where the glen turns sharp left to take you to the south end of Loch Treig, I did NOT turn left. I just carried straight on ... up ht elittle hill there which is only about 640 metres or something.

And when I got to the top ... OH! What a MAGNIFICENT place that is. Really and truly ... trust me .. .you MUST go there one fine day, and just look around in wonder at all the mountains you have in view!

(I should add, that when I saw this thread title, I immediately thought of Craig of Balloch ... but as soon as I started reading I saw I had been beaten to it!! See my account of my 2015 crossing to read my reactions on first encountering it.)

Phil Lambert
A lonely gem of a lochan that really stands out for me is Lochan nam Breac NM918995 which we came across en route from Inverie. A glorious spot surrounded by stunning hill country.

Plus you can ease your aching feet with a paddle on the little sandy beach.

I seem to remember plunging into that up to my armpits when the sandy submerged walkway I was on suddenly became a precipice.

There were some chaps there that howled with laughter.

Can't remember their names..

Personally, I'd nominate the Gorge from hell, earlier in the day.

Andrew W
I seem to remember plunging into that up to my armpits when the sandy submerged walkway I was on suddenly became a precipice.

There were some chaps there that howled with laughter.

Can't remember their names.. Personally, I'd nominate the Gorge from hell, earlier in the day.

Your hilarious dunking jolly well served you right, Andrew...

"That'll go!" he said. And so we clambered, rock climbed and sweated up a greasy rock face above a boiling torrent filled with nasty pointed rocks to get through to the other side and Paradise. And I hurt my knee too... Did I ever mention my hurty knee?

"That'll go..." was about to be engraved on your headstone at Lochan nam Breac. There was to be no shallow grave. The eagles could pick at your carcase through the Gore-Tex.

Besides, Phil had already dug enough shallow holes that day and refused to dig any more. However, your swim cheered us up and so you were spared.

I recall finishing that day after a nasty river crossing in the pouring rain at 9:15pm, totally knackered. What a fantastic day, eh?

I'd like to put in a good word for B&B's here as I suspect that some Challengers view these as just the necessary break between periods of enjoyable wild camping.

For me as a solo walker they were a periodic opportunity to engage with the local people and not just with other Challengers.

I tried to extract the maximum from my crossings so as well as breathtakingly lovely glens and exhilarating hilltops, some of my shower and comfy bed stops have been truly interesting.

There was the B&B where pine martins come for biscuits and jam breakfast in the kitchen. I've stayed with a professional storyteller and at the home of a professed witch. At one B&B I met an old lady who had been a young child on St Kilda still with memories of that place.

Another was run by a retired sea captain who knew the ships my father had served on. Many have been retired crofters with a very hard life behind them.

All have given me an insight into what it is like to live and work in the highlands and it has been a way of getting under the skin of the places i pass through. Almost all have been hidden Challenge gems in their own way.

I almost forgot one of my favourite discoveries. An end of Challenge treat was a stay in a castle where the chatelaine uses her ferrets and a Harris hawk to manage the rabbit population for local farmers.