​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: National 3 Peaks Challenge

I didn't take any of it personally, I know from reading about the Great Outdoors Challenge how passionate you all are about the natural areas. I was unaware of any of this, and probably should have done more research. I read about the 3 Peaks almost 10 years ago in a magazine and ever since I had really wanted to do it. I thought since I would be in Scotland once again that I should do it since I'm not sure how many times I'll be able to make it over for the TGOC.

Brian, the three peaks - Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon - are all superb hills in themselves and deserve proper attention. Trying to do them in 24 hours means you don't have time to really get to know them as it's a time challenge.

Just a suggestion, but why don't you try working Ben Nevis into your challenge route next year? That would then give you a bit more time to do Scafell Pike and Snowdon

If you have the time you could do Ben Nevis a day or two before you start the Challenge!

Hi Brian, you have certainly raised a bit of controversy - well done this board could do with some. I must agree with the majority of posters - the 3 peaks challenge is an abomination. I was on Scafell Pikes recently and the mountain has been trashed by this event. I would be surprised if anyone who respects mountains and wild places would have any truck with it. Would seriously suggest you look at alternatives, but if you decide to go ahead with it I wish you well.

Hi Brian....
Good to have you guys on board
Hopefully we'll meet up between the coasts...

Just to chuck by 2p worth in.

I agree with the sentiment here.
Don't feel bad about your idea, but the 3 Peaks is a dreadful event for the environment, despite the charitable cause.
It trashes the hillsides with a massive over subscription of people, a small minority of whom also leave litter and all manner of rubbish.
I would give it a wide berth, and use the board to find out other options which are much nicer and more wonderful..

Hope you have a mighty crossing, and see you guys in May (I hope)