​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crossing R Meig in Glen Fhiodhaig (East Monar area)?

I am in the final planning stage, beginning at Strathcarron, and I'd like to cross the R Meig at around NH163484 or a kilometre east at NH172487, where there are paths on the map but no bridge shown. Heading S down Allt an Amise to Loch Monar. Does anyone know if this might work, as my searches haven't uncovered any info and I'd love to go through these glens for a change?

Re: Crossing R Meig in Glen Fhiodhaig (East Monar area)?

Lovely glen, Marion. The Meig is usually fordable, though with such a large catchment spate conditions are not unusual; in these conditions even the side burn Allt na Criche merits a warning in Scottish Hill Tracks. Go for it; if all else fails carry on to the bridge at Corrievuic and get back on track via Coire Mhoraigein. Better still, pick a ruffty-tuffty walking companion who can carry you and your kit through any raging torrent.

Re: Crossing R Meig in Glen Fhiodhaig (East Monar area)?

Thanks for that, John. Back in the Eighties, when I was doing the Munros, I enjoyed a round of all the high Monar peaks in running shoes with a bivvy bag; it was wonderful! Since then, I have plodded through on the Challenge a couple of times, but not on this line, so I'm really looking forward to it. Mike and I expect to hike it together, but it's me doing all the planning - now I'd best get the paperwork completed and sent in!