​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: National 3 Peaks Challenge

You could well be correct Colin as the problems in Wasdale a few years ago got so bad the residents wanted those types of events banned. The problem with Seathwaite is the parking as it has to be on the road rather than in the car park in Wasdale. Whichever I'm also sure that there are better ways of fund raising.

I'm with the other posters on the this thread and would urge you to do another challenge instead. The Three Peaks is causing serious harm to the landscape in the Lake District and is a significant nuisance for people living in the area. On some summer weekends there have been over 120 minibuses full of people doing the three peaks challenge, all of them parked up in and around Seathwaite causing congestion. One prominent climber (was it Cameron McNeish?) said that next time he would rather visit the three largest industrial estate in Britain due to the problems the Three Peaks is causing.

I would urge you to read the following about the Three Peaks and then ask yourself if you think it worthwhile. The irony is that many people do this for charity, but the work of one charity is destroying the work of another - i.e. those who maintain the footpaths and conserve the fells.

http://www.mountain-adventures.co.uk/documents/EnvironmentalImpact.pdf

The toilet issue mentioned in the above is a serious one. Look over any wall whilst on the three peaks challenge and you will find a little pile of human waste topped with toilet paper. Is that how you want people to remember the Three Peaks?

I agree strongly with Colin Crawford.

Individual 3 Peakers need to realise how many others are also doing this.

These events are a nightmare for residents of 3 Lakeland Valleys. Noise, numbers and, to put it bluntly, Scafell Pike is used as an enormous toilet by 3 Peakers who seem to assume that their waste products, invisible in the dark, will remain so in daylight. Of course the majority are responsible. But the event should be discouraged and a bit more imagination shown by those who want to raise money for charity.

Sorry. Nothing personal! Honestly.

Well now I feel kind of terrible. I just thought it would be a fun thing to do, I guess I didn't realize the parking lots were right near homes. I envisioned it being more remote than that.

I also agree that finding something more suitable is better. Far more satisfying to design your own challenge instead of following the herd. How about the northernmost, easternmost, southernmost and westernmost Munro? Or, a Munro, a Corbett and a Graham in 24 hours without any driving. Or, if you insist on the 3 countries, how about the second highest in each? The options are limitless.
Simon.

Brian, none of the landmanagers of the Three Peaks,JMT,NT,LDNP, etc, are in the business of discouraging any from walking or climbing on them. They are fully aware of the iconic status of highest hills in any country and that this is an entry point to outdoor adventure for many people. To deal with the inevitable pressure they have agreed a protocol with the mass event organisers covering issues of timing, noise, disturbance, litter, and safety, which is worth a look. Climb whatever you like, and to hell with begrudgers!

Brian, please don't feel bad about this! There are many ways that you and Leslie can take in these three iconic peaks - public transport, a rent-a-car to name but two. And you can still give to yr favorite charity, without them getting hit by the ruinous overhead of an organised event! There are plenty of folk here on the Message Bored who can give you help - and who knows, you might even be able to pick up a ride. And there are multiple routes up Scafell and Snowden. Hey, you can even take a train up Snowden . . .

I don't know yr return airport back to Florida, but you might want to consider going Wales > Cumbria > Scotland rather than the usual itineray. Be aware than even by the voie normale NE tourist route, Ben Nevis can be treacherous. Massive cornices may still be present in May.

So what does Ben Nevis translate as? There are many takes, but I look to Nibheis. Not the best of adjectives - evil and/or venomous come to mind!

Good luck to the two of ye!

Brian,

Since posting yesterday evening I've realised, belatedly, that you're from the States and can hardly be expected to appreciate the problems raised by the Three Peaks. Absolutely no need to feel any sense of guilt. I'm sure that you were acting from the best of motives, unaware of the controversy attached to the thing. You're certainly up to speed now though! As other posters have suggested, there are a host of other possible challenges which you could take up, not excluding the three highest summits if done in another way.

Best of luck.

Colin

I read this thread with interest, especially as we walk across Scotland after the annual motorcycle races have torn up the ground more drastically than 350 challengers could ever do. I gather its a historical event and thus allowed year after year.

I don't know how many responding have been to the state of Florida but I think the tallest hill is a whopping 105 meters and it sounds like Brian just wanted to hit some tops in the UK. I don't blame him but sometimes (I'd go so far as to say usually) the tallest isn't the most interesting or doesn't give the best views. Now, as to why you'd want to climb 3 munros in a day after the TGO.....that's another subject entirely. But all of us challengers are quirky in one way or another. That's part of the fun.

The day after the challenge one year, a friend of mine was doing his 100th munro, and as I walked up with his small group to toast with some champagne, can I just say the LAST thing I wanted to do was climb another hill?

But to each their own, I say.

Enjoy your holiday, Brian, and see you in Montrose.

p.s. I was actually surprised the tallest point in FL was an actual hill. When I worked at the Cape, we used to joke the tallest point was a landfill site (no offense to any Floridians, please!).

Julie, yes, I just wanted to hit some tops while I'm in Scotland as I'm not sure how many times I'll be back over there. And I also thought it would be another cool challenge I could complete. I really had no idea about the controversy of it.

Surprisingly, Florida does have some hills in the northern parts of the state. Down in south Florida where I live the highest point IS a landfill (no joke) but the highest natural point is actually an ancient sand dune in a State Park that is 93 ft above sea level, if I remember correctly. They have a lookout tower built on top of it (by building the tower and the walkway up it actually helps preserve the landscape because people are not trampling on the vegetation). It's a pretty nice view from up there, I have some pics around here somewhere...

Hi Brian
Sorry my earlier message reads over harshly. It was not aimed at you personally. My strength of feeling outweighed my tact. Not for the first time!

I didn't take any of it personally, I know from reading about the Great Outdoors Challenge how passionate you all are about the natural areas. I was unaware of any of this, and probably should have done more research. I read about the 3 Peaks almost 10 years ago in a magazine and ever since I had really wanted to do it. I thought since I would be in Scotland once again that I should do it since I'm not sure how many times I'll be able to make it over for the TGOC.

Brian, the three peaks - Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon - are all superb hills in themselves and deserve proper attention. Trying to do them in 24 hours means you don't have time to really get to know them as it's a time challenge.

Just a suggestion, but why don't you try working Ben Nevis into your challenge route next year? That would then give you a bit more time to do Scafell Pike and Snowdon

If you have the time you could do Ben Nevis a day or two before you start the Challenge!

Hi Brian, you have certainly raised a bit of controversy - well done this board could do with some. I must agree with the majority of posters - the 3 peaks challenge is an abomination. I was on Scafell Pikes recently and the mountain has been trashed by this event. I would be surprised if anyone who respects mountains and wild places would have any truck with it. Would seriously suggest you look at alternatives, but if you decide to go ahead with it I wish you well.

Hi Brian....
Good to have you guys on board
Hopefully we'll meet up between the coasts...

Just to chuck by 2p worth in.

I agree with the sentiment here.
Don't feel bad about your idea, but the 3 Peaks is a dreadful event for the environment, despite the charitable cause.
It trashes the hillsides with a massive over subscription of people, a small minority of whom also leave litter and all manner of rubbish.
I would give it a wide berth, and use the board to find out other options which are much nicer and more wonderful..

Hope you have a mighty crossing, and see you guys in May (I hope)