​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OS Maps vs ViewRanger

You don't need a subscription to use the OS route planning feature. https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/

You can try it as a guest but you need to register to be able to store and retrieve routes. Registering is not the same as premium subscription.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-maps-faq.html#usertypes

I use the OS website for route planning all the time. You get to zoom in far further than the 1:50000 level you get on Landranger maps, showing more tracks and other features and there is often a better aerial view than you get with Google maps. Waypoint distances and elevation profiles are also nicely tabulated. Once you have your route planned it is easy to export to GPX. What more could you need?

Thanks everyone for the tips. I hadn't realized I could plot a route on OS Maps without the subscription, I'll look into that. Leaning towards ViewRanger and so love spreading the paper maps out to plan things but think I can get more info by looking at the routes/maps online.

Really appreciate the tips!

If you are registered, but not a subscriber, any routes that you save go into a publically accessible database. There is absolutely nothing to indicate who created the route, when or why so I don't see it being an issue.

Just to show you how it works, if you go to
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/57.0079864407,-4.1639199928,14
Select 'Routes' then 'Discover routes' then untick 'Show only premium routes', you will see that there is a route called "A9 to Linn of Dee" That is just something I created one night playing around with half a bottle of wine under my belt, but unless you knew that you wouldn't know who created it or why.

This could be quite a good feature because if you zoom in on an area with a lot of routes saved you can see what other people have been planning and get some inspiration. A lot of premium routes are created by Trail Magazine and Country Walking Magazine.

The only real downside of not subscribing is that you are limited to A4 portrait printing.

Thanks a lot Brian, that is really good to know as I've been having issues figuring out OS Maps, I had used it ages ago but it seems to have changed since then. I have found your route I believe but haven't yet created an account (it seems my old account must have been deleted?) so cannot explore it but once I get a bit more time, hopefully over Christmas, I'll check it out more and see if OS Maps is right for me.

Thanks again!