​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A Special Invitation

My sixth crossing, and the first time I have ever been even vaguely in the area! I feel a route diversion coming on....

Lindy Griffiths
My sixth crossing, and the first time I have ever been even vaguely in the area!

Do not despair, Lindy. This will be my tenth crossing accompanying Lord Elpus and he is invariably vague about which area we are in. indeed, two crossings ago we were to be found on the wrong hill.

This year we will have at least two new-fangled electronic locating devices in the party. If you do make the correct spot, whichever way the digits are arranged, we might vaguely be in the area.

What could possibly go wrong?

Alan,

"What could possibly go wrong?"

High winds and you could be Fee bound.

I can't make the soiree this year, I am too far north.

Best of luck, enjoy it anyway.

Bump!

(For those still contemplating their routes)

It's the basis of my route! Any cheese,wine or cracker preference?

Hi Rich

That's wonderful to hear, Sir. In answer to your question, I refer you to the starting post of the thread:

"Please note: Guests should bring their own favourite cheese & wine to share"

Not long now, as the crow flies.

It will be good to see you, Rich.

We all have our favourites, but as you ask for pointers I will say that a 2009 Petrus is always welcome ... or failing that, anything from the Co Op.

And of course Scotland offers a surprising number of fine cheeses.

Cheers and an early "Happy New year!"

Lord E.

Sorry to miss you in 2017 as my route is way north of there.
Happy New Year to you!

Bump!

(I've had a couple of emails lately enquiring about the whereabouts of the Cheese & Wine Party.)

Well Crikey, it looks like our route passes within a Midges whisker of you for the first time ever. We'll bring the Fondue set, the Barbecue and the Wine Cooler - all in Ultralight Titanium of course.....

Are first-timers also welcome? If so, could anyone point me to a nice FWA route to reach the destination from Lochallater? My current route plan includes Jock's Road, via the top of Crow Craigies. I'm not sure if there even is one since there are hills everywhere. Also, what would be the safest place to ford White Water to reach the C & W? Or am I completely out of my depths here for even asking. My apologies if these are the dumbest questions ever, but since my original plan was to walk to Ballater from Braemar and I only now realised that if I want to get to the party I need to re-plan, and quite soon (route submission due asap), I am a bit at loss with my options. This might be my first and last Challenge, so I'm enclined to collect all the possible social gatherings (I know, quite unusual for a Finn...).

Thanks in advance for all your help. Back to planning board.

Minna

Hi Minna

First timers are especially welcome!

Seeing as you're heading for Callater Lodge (for the Sunday night?) I presume you've given Ballater a swerve. Probably sensible, that, as HMP3 and Agony Howelling are likely to be there. You should definitely aim to join the Very Very Nice Challengers at the Cheese & Wine Party.

If you're determined to walk Jock's Road, it's possible to veer toward the party site by leaving the path at about Northing 780 (just before reaching the Emergency Shelter) and crossing the White Water there, and then making your way round, off-piste, to the Burn of Fialzioch, then Dun Hillocks and the Party.

Or you can take the more conventional route via Cairn of Claise, Tom Bhuidhe and Little Kilrannoch.

Of course, all this assumes a fine day, with larksong, warm summer zephyrs and no hangover from the night before. If the weather is decidedly nasty, no-one will be going over the tops from Lochcallater, as FWAs should be in place, which will vary for each Challenger's ultimate destination.

I hope this helps, and Lord Elpus, The VeryVeryNice Man Mr Williams and I welcome you warmly to our Cheese and Wine Party!

Alan, thank you for your kind invitation and advice. It would be lovely to join the party! However, having spent yesterday evening with my OS maps and route plan Excel, I now realise that I'll be leaving Braemar on Sunday, not Monday, which is when I'm supposed to be heading towards Tarfside already. Oh well, you can't always win, can you?

Minna

I'd also avail myself of the cheer, but will be at Callater Lodge Friday and Saturday nights.