​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: chargers

This probably doesn't help, but I've carried portable chargers on two TGO's and never used them once, even though I take fairly remote routes. I don't use the phone except for emergencies, and so it's normally switched off apart from the rare occasion when I want to double check a coordinate or location in bad weather, or checking in at home by text once day (if I can find a signal). I've always been able to power up at a pub, bunk house etc and a couple of recharges has got me across Scotland.

I took a 6000 mAH unit by Gembonics on the first challenge but never needed to use it (I get about 2.5 full charges out of it for a Samsung phone). Then on the second TGO I took a charger that used standard AA batteries, but found on the one occasion I tried using it that I was only able to discharge 50% of the AA battery power and so I was throwing half used batteries away. I've also used a small solar charger (Power Monkey) before, but never got more than a trickle out of it.

So if I had to choose, I would use the Gembonics, or any of the great chargers from Anker. But to be honest, your best making sure you get phone power down to an absolute minimum. Usual things, dim the screen, turn off all Apps, deactivate GPS unless you absolutely need it etc. Turn off anything that leaves your phone hunting aimlessly for a signal it can't find. Oh, and I carry a tiny separate MP3 player so that I'm not using the phone for music/radio.

I use a Tecknet iEP360 (6,000mAh) or an Aukey PB-N28 (12,000 mAh). Both are excellent and available from Amazon. The Aukey recharges an iPhone or an iPad really quickly.

Hi Gordie,

Take heart, I'm below you on the list but I believe there's a good chance we'll get on.

Standby list - good luck!

I agree with Kirsten. I was number 40 one year and believe I was the last one to get on the challenge that year. Especially if you are a solo walker as there might only be one slot left but a few before you are in groups.

Take heart.

As for chargers, I don't take anything that needs re-charging for the 2 weeks as I find it relaxing and one less thing to concern myself with. I do take a phone that does nothing but make a call so it doesn't use much of its battery and I only turn it on during those 4 calls/texts.

Hi,
After reading your messages I will take my regular camera (a nice 'old' Panasic Lumix) with me on the Challenge. First plan was to use my phone to take pictures. But that will take a lot of charging along the way, and the storage on even my Iphone 6 is not that big. I will use the Iphone when in great need of GPS, nut only then. Otherwise it's Map and Compass for me :-).

Greetings from the Low Countries,
Andre Hilhorst

Dear John, Robin, and Andre
- thankyou for your thoughts about chargers. I'll have a wee google of those and try to narrow it down. I recognise the wisdom of taking separate MP3 devices or cameras Andre - I shall maybe consider that. On my first year, having a bit of music really helped me trudge along Glen Kingie in the rain. I'm no sort of photographer, and I would only tend to look at photos I've taken on my phone - but maybe it's time to change that.

Kirsten and Julie
- thanks for your encouragement! I'm continuing to wait. Kirsten I shall look forward to hearing your thoughts on kit if I see you. Your encouragement led me to do an inventory-weight chart after my last challenge!

Cheers,
Gordie

Hi Gordie,

I'm still whittling down the grams on my kit but am way behind the really lightweight folk. Have a look at Colin Ibbotson (Tramplite travels) Paul Atkinson (Whiteburn's wanderings) and a few other bloggers to see what they carry. The honest best I can get down to is about 10.5kg before adding food and water, but I am carrying a pair of Inov-8 295s, long woolly underwear and about 300g of what I class as "emergencies and repair kit". Not much of the emergency stuff gets used but it's good to have it there in case!

It's always a balance of comfort and weight too, for example I love my Primus Eta solo cooking set which weighs 560g with extra cups, spoon, lighter and bits, and can't bring myself to save about 250g to be balancing and stirring a titanium mug over a tiny burner while holding a windshield in place with my third hand! I think the extra 70g on my Sea to Summit pillow is well worth it too compared with a stuff sack full of clothing.

I know this thread started by asking about chargers. In my case I take a phone that will last for the two weeks, just for making calls. Anything else uses AA batteries available almost anywhere.
There also seems to be a side thread about weight saving. If you really want to save weight then read "Beyond Backpacking" by Ray Jardine. You will not want to take up all his ideas but it makes a good read and some of his tips are really worth serious thought.