​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Spittal of Glenshee to Glen Prosen query

Lindy -

If you can contrive a route through the Craig of Balloch, then you really really REALLY should. It's a hidden gem, and I absolutely adored it when I went that way in 2015. There are some pics on my blog, too.

Lindy - I went that way in 2014.

My planned route was:

Spittal of Glenshee - Cross A93 to N then take track to E - Paths and tracks to Loch Beanie - Glen Beanie - Dalvanie - Minor road N to Delnamer - Cross R Isla at Fergus - Track NE then cross-country – Craig Lair – Pick up path SE of Broom Hill at Glack of Balquhader – Kilbo – S on Glen Prosen – Old Craig - (or on to Prosen Hostel +8km)

I didn't take detailed notes but my diary said: "A long day (because I’d booked myself in at the Prosen hostel, 8km further than my original planned camping spot) but it was a good mix of open country and tracks in weather which ranged from warm sun to cold wind."

I'm sure I'd have noted if I'd had a nightmare of a day .... so it must've been OK. I remember being exhausted by the time I reached the Prosen Hostel but that's because I'd had two consecutive 30+km days which is very far for me. Luckily Mr Knipe was in the hostel and made me a coffee. I needed it.

I went that way too on my first challenge - and from Prosen over the Minister's road to Clova, which was excellent too, although I did have a slight time/space continuum incident in the forestry overlooking Clova. The trick seem to be to keep right at a fork in the track...
If you're heading for Kirriemuir/Forfar after Prosen, the ridge ending at the big tower thingy overlooking Dykehead (apols for the technical language here) was easy enough and much better than the road.

Thank you for all the advice above and via emails. I was concerned that it would be very rough going, but seems to be do-able even for a trundler like me!