​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What to do now?

Andy - it was a few years back, but you may recall that I couldn't resist a gentle lampoon of the avid "weight watcher" ... and, for balance, those of a more traditional outlook.

Outdoor Stereotypes

Numbers 5 & 2. Enjoy

I would suggest beginning your search for the perfect dram to take on your challenge - there's many a whisky to sample & it'll be a quest that'll take some considerable time. It's also a welcome addition to these long, dark, wintery evenings.....

Vicky

Andre,

It is now time to plan another adventure. I've just bought a bear canister tonight and, no, it is not for the challenge.

Alternatively, do what many of us surely do. Lay out plans for future challenges. I could this and then I could do that.....so many choices, especially if you stretch yourself beyond the usual routes.

See you in May!

This is wonderful, thanks all!
There is hope yet..... And I will be checking my gear over the next few weeks, that will keep me quite busy (figuring out how to find the money for a new Suunto watch). Also, places to visit... check! Dehydrating food is not for me, I'm taking biscuits with raisins in, Tortellini and a Baton pur porc (French dry sausage). Now that I am reading this... these three items are dehydrated already :-).

The long search for the perfect dram is a great one. A long time ago I walked into a pub in Killin and asked for a Malt Whisky. The man behind the bar: "why not drink Grouse, that's what we drink!". And I did :-). Something similar has happend again a few visits to Scotland later, near Shiel Bridge. So... I'm a great Lagavulin man, but only at home. In Scotland it's the Famous Grouse for me!

Getting fit obviously is important. Presently I'm putting in about 8 hours of walking each week (spread out over the days, luckily I can walk to and from work after a train journey), and three sessions of an hour fitness (1,5 hours rowing machine, 1,5 hours strength). Next Saturday my wife and I are going on a night hike through the dunes (20k), and we'll be going on long walks each weekend from now on. That might just do it.

Losing weight is hard for me, but the hills provide a great new urgency in this matter. My route includes 5 Munro's. Not much, but quite enough I believe...

Seriously, I'm so happy that I'm accepted in the Challenge. The children have left home, some difficult moments have come and gone. At 60 I will return to my great Northern love, Scotland!

Thanks again, hope to meet you on the Challenge,
All the best from the Low Countries!

Andre Hilhorst

Andre

Bad news I'm afraid.

It would appear that you showing the early signs of Challengitis stage 3 ! (e.g..... a new Suunto watch)

Regrettably further symptoms will appear in the New Year when other poor afflicted souls will publish, on the obligatory spreadsheet, a list of their equipment and the carry weight.

You will read through their list muttering uncontrollably that their tent,sleeping bag, cook system, clothing, GPS, etc, etc (delete as applicable) is lighter / better than yours.

You will then spend countless hours scanning the world wide web looking for alternative more colourful, better, lighter more technically advanced gear. The expense will fade into insignificance.

As a long term sufferer the only advice I can offer is (a) keep away from excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages (b) cancel/ suspend your Paypal account (c) return your credit cards to the bank (d) seal up your box post so that any items are returned to the sender and finally take up an all absorbing hobby ( mine was researching the family history of the Pango Pango tribe of the Lower Congo )

Despite all this I have still spent the whole of 2016 researching gear, spending hundreds of pounds and still can not get close to Sabine Zawadzki's phenomenal pack weight of a mere 6.5 Kgs.

I am at 8.9 Kgs but I still have six months to go and there must a store out there I haven't explored. There must be must be......

Nurse Nurse bring my medication quickly it's happening again.....

So best of luck, from a long term addict.

Ray is, perhaps, a particularly advanced case of this affliction.

Provided you can catch it in the early stages, it has been shown that cultivating an interest in classic tractors can provide a certain amount of symptomatic relief, even though it cannot effect a total cure.

Ray, that was 5.632 kgs baseweight
I was prepared to not be comfortable all the time. But luckily the weather was great.
It depends not only on preparation and gear but on your own personal preferences. And I bet there are people with a lighter pack.

Sabine

Only 5.632 kgs !!!!

I have not heard of anybody who has got close to 6.5 kgs.

It means I will have to up the medication........Nurse

Well, that's depressing.... I hope to keep my pack under 20 kgs!

Desperately,
Andre