​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Aonach Mor from the North - route suggestion?

Hi John,

There are often a number of large cornices on the East side of Aonach Mor that hang around until the summer so I would avoid ascending from that side (I'm not sure it's even possible). There is a steep ascent that is possible from the bealach between Aonach More and Carn More Dearg that can be accessed following the Allt Daim in from the North. I've descended it rather than ascended it and it was steep and would be a bit of a haul with full pack but the sort of rough steep path that I would rather ascend than descend - it would depend on snow cover as to whether it was possible during challenge weeks. You can descend to the East after Aonach Beag to the col at Stob Coire Bealaich - then south into Glen Nevis or alternatively continue over the Grey Corries - again depending on snow cover. The usual descent into the col from Aonach Beag is down a gully that will likely to be corniced still during the challenge but you can descend easily enough a bit further south from that gully and contour round to the col - I can show you where on the map exactly if that's be helpful.

Vicky

For some reason it won't let me edit my post - but I should have written that you descend from Aonach Beag over Stob Coire Bealaich and then into the bealach between Stob Coire Bealaich and Sgurr Coinnich Beag - the rest of the description of the descent is the same but refers to descending further south of Stob Coire Bealaich rather than Aonach Beag and contouring round to the bealach between that and Stob Coinnich Beag. Hope that makes sense and I haven't confused you!
Vicky

Thanks Vicky. I've done the Aonach/Grey Corries traverse before, but admittedly with full winter gear, which of course I wont be carrying on the TGO. It's good to know some of the tricky parts could, at a pinch, be avoided (if snow conditions allow). It's probably asking a lot anyway for it to be safe in mid May with kahtoola spikes, but I may just include it as a possibility.