​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ben Nevis

I did a quick search through the forum here and was surprised to find relatively little discussion of including Ben Nevis in a Challenge route.

If planning a crossing that goes near Ben Nevis, is it advisable to include an ascent? I'm thinking of this both along the lines of safety (is there likely to be a significant amount of lingering snow?) and scenic reward (is it worth the effort?). The Carn Mor Dearg Arete looks like a beautiful ascent route but I'm not sure if it really fits well into the generally east-to-west direction of the Challenge.

Re: Ben Nevis

See the late Mike Daniels' Story from 1987.

Thirty years have passed, but despite global warming, it's just as nippy up there so yes, snow is a likely hazard.

Plus ca change ...

Phil Lambert

That is such a good read. I feel exhausted!

That was some challenge back then with mick and Iains completion of the 8 four thousand ft munro's,Even so with the
gear back then, no lightweight stuff in those days, and Iain matheson being 76, about 15 years ago Keith Leonard and I
tried to do them but failed, we ran out of time as we had to be at lubleathan bothy for birnie marshals bachelor night
there,and what a night it was!!! And is wedding whilst on the challenge to pauline, the next day,,,
Im not sure if the 8,, 4s have been done since on the challenge,

Just in case you can't be bothered to CUT & Paste Martin's link.
The working one that is

Here it is Martin Rye 2007

Phil Lambert

What a fantastic tale of 'old world' Derring do and Adventure. It makes me realise how cossetted we are with modern equipment and technology.

I included The Ben on my 2006 crossing
http://www.stravaig.me.uk/TGOC%2006/2006.html

Tentatively, I'm looking at including the Grey Corries or just Aonach Mor & Aonach Beag in my route, at least as options. Since they'd be options I'm not overly worried about snow as I can make a rough judgement based on the first few days of the crossing and avoid if necessary. The main issue for me is that I want to avoid Fort William as one of my stop off points, I feel it may break the wilderness feel. I'd prefer to come in via Spean Bridge side, but ascents from there are either not as obvious or they're spoilt by the area of lifts to the north west or need for a bit of forest bashing.

Justin
I'm not sure if it really fits well into the generally east-to-west direction of the Challenge.

The direction of my crossings is generally west-to-east

Oops, good catch, Jeremy. Looks like I'd have a hard time reaching the east coast with that plan. Actually, I'm thinking of starting at Kilchoan and walking *west* to Ardnamurchan Point. Would it be within the rules and spirit of the TGO Challenge to reach Ardnamurchan Point by means other than foot then begin the long walk across Scotland from that point?

Well, as long as you passed through Kilchoan again to sign in on your way back from Ardnamurchan, that would be completely unexceptional. Indeed, one year they experimented with a "start line", and all you had to do was start West of that line and pass through a start point to sign on in the first few days. I liked this idea a lot ... but they didn't continue it because nearly everyone had just started at a sign-on point. I think they should have given it a couple more years, though, so people had time to get used to the idea and began to realize the possibilities.

If you were to sign on at Kilchoan, then get a lift to Ardnamurchan, and then start walking I think there may be some raised eyebrows. I cannot personally see that this is different in spirit from signing on at Mallaig, getting a boat to Inverey, and then starting walking ... and of course if you took a BOAT from Kilchoan to Ardnamurchan it would be EXACTLY the same!

You might consider going to Kilchoan a day early. Then on the day BEFORE your start you could get a lift out to Ardnamurchan point, walk back to Kilchoan, enjoy a night in the hotel, sign on the next morning, and walk Eastwards from there. What you do before the start of the event is up to you ...

(Oh, and well done for choosing Kilchoan ... I loved it as a start point!!)

A few years ago I started unoffically at Ardnamurchan lighthouse, then signed out at Acharacle. That way I felt I had walked the full distance even if it was not recorded on the TGOC certificate. I can recommend a good camping spot at Ockle if you want to go that way.

I am thinking of going by way of Ockle, Kirsten. I'd love your camping spot recommendation. Cheers.

Ben Nevis and the Arete are a fine idea for the Challenge. I did that on the 2007 Challenge. Photos here: https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPeng5zHeLyNgoLAw25aq3jSHbONHezaAlrgbnF

That google photos link comes up 404, Martin. Would you post it again?

Link: https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPeng5zHeLyNgoLAw25aq3jSHbONHezaAlrgbnF

Martin Rye
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPeng5zHeLyNgoLAw25aq3jSHbONHezaAlrgbnF

That looks exactly the same as the first link...

Works on my MAC fine? Get Walker on to it. He does ICT stuff.

I bet you can also see your Avatar as well, Martin...

Sorry Martin it does not work on my Mac! Either by cut & paste or typing.

Try this;: https://goo.gl/photos/941SJt49mtXbUAo19

hi justin, just do it!!!!! most old codger challengers have done it, it will make you feel a bit special, the view from the top if clear will take your breath away,,