​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First timer

Grief I am excited to be selected but would like to give more experienced challengers the opportunity to pass on some words of wisdom about any aspect of the challenge now before I have the chance to make any mistakes about route, kit, etc etc.

Thanks

Re: First timer

First off, big Congratulations, Rose, you will vacillate between loving it and wondering why on earth you are doing it! But its positively addictive and the challenge community is like no other.

Your route preparation is first, perhaps you could give us an idea of where you'd like to start and your experience/comfort level?

Julie Munkeby
First off, big Congratulations, Rose, you will vacillate between loving it and wondering why on earth you are doing it! But its positively addictive and the challenge community is like no other.

Your route preparation is first, perhaps you could give us an idea of where you'd like to start and your experience/comfort level?

Thanks Julie. I'm thinking of starting at Shiel Bridge and not going too far off the beaten track this time. I normally walk about 12 - 15 miles a day but don't have much experience of Scotland outside of the borders plus I need to practice my wild camping

Much thanks for the very kind and helpful messages

Words of advice for a first timer, hmm?

Well ... first bit of advice ... is listen to all advice you're offered (including this advice!!) with an open but critical mind. We're all different, and what works for any particular person might not work for you. Nonetheless, the fact that it DOES work for them means that it must have SOME merit. So listen to what folk suggest, but focus on the WHY more than the WHAT. Then ask yourself whether the REASONS it works for us are going to be valid for you or not.

Second ... 14 days is a LONG time to be walking in unfamiliar country. In the old weight vs comfort tradeoff, bear in mind that there WILL be times when you NEED comfort more than anything, and that it is well worth carrying a little extra weight to have it than go without and be super-ultralight. Only you know which little comforts will make the difference for you. If it's the occasional nip of the old uisge beatha, then that's fine. Pack at least two flasks (because Challengers are a sociable bunch, who will expect you to share ). If it's a favourite old teddy bear, then find a space for him in your pack. If it's having fresh socks to put on every day, then put seven pairs in your rucksack (that's what I do). But think what it is that will lift your spirits when you're sitting in your tent in cold and clammy clothes, out of fuel for your stove, listening to the rain beating down on the fly and the occasional "ping" as another tent loop fails, and contemplating a second night of eating your supper cold and straight from the packet. Whatever will get you through THAT situation ... make sure you pack plenty of it!!!

Third, arising out of the second, don't think of it as a 14 day expedition. Think of it as four shorter, 3-4 day expeditions, which you are going to do back-to-back. Plan your route accordingly. The sections will more or less suggest themselves. They are, essentially, (1) start point to Great Glen; (2) Great Glen to A9; (3) A9 to the Angus Glens; (4) Angus Glens to the Coast. (OK, if you start in the far North or the far South it's a bit different; but if you're starting at Shiel Bridge then it'll be pertty much those four sections). Try to end each section somewhere that you can get a nice bed for the night, a bath, a hot meal cooked by somebody else (and possibly a drink or two), the chance to phone Challenge Control, and, in case the worst comes to the worst, which is reasonably connected to the transport network so that it is not a problem retiring from the event if you have to (but we hope you won't!!)

Fourth, you WILL get fitter through the event. If your normal daily travel is 15 miles, then plan to do about 12 miles a day in the first sector, about 14 miles a day in the second sector, about 16 miles a day in the third sector, and about 18 miles a day in the fourth sector. There is no merit in being in too much of a rush to get away from the West; and as you approach the East Coast your legs really will be capable of pushing you a lot harder than you ever dreamed when you set out from the West.

Fifth ... when you submit your route for vetting, you will get it back with a sheet (or more) or suggestions as to possible revisions. Unless the route has been rejected outright (a rare occurrence, but it does happen) then the vetters' suggestions are just that: suggestions. BUT. They are suggestions from experienced challengers (with, typically, 20-25 crossings under their belt) who know the part of the Challenge country you're choosing to cross inside out and back to front. They know what they're on about and their suggestion are ALWAYS (in my experience) well worth having. That's not to say I always follow them. But I always make sure, before deciding not to follow any particular suggestion from my route vetters, that I have a very good reason which I am able to articulate, explain and justify.

Oh ... and sixth ... if you're following a stream uphill, make sure you take your drinking water from the side streams and not from the main watercourse.

Hi Jeremy

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply with some helpful suggestions about pacing yourself and increasing your targets along the way. I hope we bump into eachother along the way

Rose

If you've not wild camped before I suggest a couple of short expeditions (3-4 days) in remote, wild and hilly country carrying full kit. You need to be self-reliant and completely self-contained.....and you'll need to bring plenty of flasks for Jeremy - he gets thirsty.

Don't underestimate the Challenge but consider that you can make it as hard or as easy as you want - but two weeks with your house on your back, often in poor weather conditions and mostly over rough ground, is going to take it's toll. As Jeremy says, you will be much fitter at the end of the Challenge - but those first 3-4 days can be a real test.

Your original posting suggests that you haven't done much in the way of wild camping, although obviously enough to satisfy Sue & Ali. If you've been out and done a bit, then good for you! If you haven't done much I'd get out there soon - you'll learn quickly....or get cold, wet, hungry and miserable!

Don't think I'm trying to put you off, the Challenge fortnight is the highlight of my year - it's magnificently good fun. Just be aware that the Scottish Highlands aren't a playground, they're a tremendous wilderness that offers adventure.

Good luck with the planning and the Challenge itself, see you in Montrose!

:-)

John

Thanks very much for the advice John. I am planning to do some wild-camping soon and I'm very much looking forward to the challenge

I think it's a good idea to do some hillwalking and camping in the weeks leading up to the challenge. I would try to get away for a few days in late April. This will help you finalise what you are going to pack, test your kit, raise the fitness levels, hone your navigation, toughen the feet etc. I manage to convince my wife that my pre-challenge training week away in Scotland in April is what all other challengers do and is in fact compulsory in the application process. Shhh.. our secret!

Good luck - have a wonderful crossing.

Thanks I'm really looking forward to it

Hi Rose,

One thing that is often overlooked - and I know because I did on my first - was the amount of water crossings you may be forced to undertake. As I have mentioned on this board in the past, it seems to me to be very much about water. Its either falling on you, or you have to cross it , or in warmer years there isn't enough. Practice a few river crossings with your kit. It will no doubt hold you in good stead - and bear it in mind when you are planning your route.

I'm walking with a Rose this time so see you on the trails. Enjoy - its a blast.

Good point about river crossings Dickie. If anyone needs advice look for the SMC video on the subject. Or read up on it in Mountaincraft & Leadership by Eric Langmuir.

First of all, Rose, congratulations for getting the place! I'm also a first timer so been reading your post and feed here which has been also useful for me! I do coastal walks that have different challenges, so looking forward to start training for TGO mainland crossing! Hope to see you in Montrose! :o)
Jeremy, that was a great post, very helpful! :o)
All the best,
Katrin

I just wanted to say thanks for the replies and emails which have been really helpful as I have started planning my route.
It's always good to get advice as it helps me prepare so I look forward to meeting some or all of you on the trail

Rose

Hi Rose,

I am also a first timer and have appreciated reading all the responses to your questions. Hope to see you in Montrose or along the way!

Melissa