​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crossing the Monadhliath

That is a very sad destruction of a wonderful and beautiful area of Scotland, by those that never go there and never care. This may be one of the last chances to see some of it unspoilt.
Gradually this beauty is being industrialised. But.. still worth a visit to preserve some photos for future generations to mourn its passing...

Thank you Andrew, Robin, Alan,
A strange moment to visit the Monadhliath indeed... Still, it's all part of the modern world. A film about Mongolian Noamds will feature a highway with big lorries.....

Will they remove the roads once the windmills are up you think? In that case the damage on the ground will not be so bad, nature at ground level at least will regenerate.

Thanks again!

Andre Hilhorst
Thank you Andrew, Robin, Alan,
Will they remove the roads once the windmills are up you think? In that case the damage on the ground will not be so bad, nature at ground level at least will regenerate.

Thanks again!

I'm afraid the road networks in the midst of the Monadh Liath are there to stay. The average lifetime of an upland wind turbine is said to be 25 years, and turbines require regular maintenance. They also break down with regular monotony. Most turbines require new gearboxes at least once in their lifetime, which requires the use of a huge mobile crane and a lot of trucks.

Pretty miserable.

The peat is on the tops. The streams have washed it away in the valleys. Soooo ... follow streams up an ddown and you should have a wonderful time up there.

hi Andre,I agree with all the replies you have had and yes that great wildness of the Monadhliath has been somewhat
compromised, but its still one fantastic place to go, I must have been over it about 7 times over the years,but remember in bad weather it takes no prisoners!!! but in good weather its a joy,
one year I decided to try and find the source of the river Dulnain, it started with trickle, I fallowed it till it was 40ft across
and there a great bothy on it at NH787 136, Andre have an adventure on it and spread your wings and stay on it as long as possible its the ultimate adventure,

Hi Terry,
Thank you, it will be a great adventure indeed. I do enjoy the lonely places, and there are almost none left in my own country. That may be the one reason I keep coming back to Scotland. That and the great people.

Greetings from the Low Countries,
Andre