​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Draft Kit List

Gets a bit addictive!

Rab pants...only the best for my peach!

I'd consider swapping the plasters for melanin dressings and micropore tape - much more versatile and less waste that gets whipped away by t hewind when you're trying to dress the wound. Small cuts can also be treated with the tape directly.

For painkillers, I always carry a melt-on-the-tongue variety called Meltlets, cos when you need to take the **** things you don't always have the water you need to wash down a tablet.

And ... take LOTS of painkillers.

If you rub a blister iyt's FAR better to load up with painkillers and walk on as if it was not there than it is to adjust your gait to favour the blistered foot and end up wrecking your hips and knees!

I'm not entirely sure that "plan for hte worst and hope for the best" quite works if you're going to go high. What's the worst that could happen? Wind blows you clean off that high ridge, so better take a parachute just in case. Hmmmm ... I saw somebody last year with a wet suit, but a really wouldn't know how to fit a parachute in ...

Thanks Jeremy, I'll have a look into melanin dressings, I must admit I very rarely use plasters, more of a nuisance than anything. I'd rather slap some dressing over it and tape it up or worse case glue it up.

I'll make sure I'm fully stocked with painkillers.

Probably not the recommended treatment but if I get a blister I cut the dead skin off, apply some alcohol and tape it up with zinc oxide.

A wetsuit wasn't at the top of my packing list, but I guess could be useful when crossing Loch Ness?

I've got a parachute, it doubles as my pack cover!

One thinks this is just a statement to show everyone you have wasted all your money on un-necessary brand names. I personally wouldnt scrimp and scrape on wet weather gear, however ultra light expensive everything else is just not necessary. I dont get your posts each to their own i guess.

Johnny
One thinks this is just a statement to show everyone you have wasted all your money on un-necessary brand names. I personally wouldnt scrimp and scrape on wet weather gear, however ultra light expensive everything else is just not necessary. I dont get your posts each to their own i guess.

meh..

The kit you take is the kit you need to be happy and safe. If you can save a bit of weight here or there and take stuff you want, it's all good.
At the end of the day, kit is kit that works.
More importantly kit that works for you, and you are happy and able to carry across, or wherever you are going.
Indeed, it may not work for others.
Also expensive waterproofs aren't always the dogs....
There is some great cheaper stuff out there.
Which reminds me, I need to proof my top.... ;-)
So, kit that works for me, works for me.
My kit for 2017, should I be one of the lucky will be pretty much identical to 2016... Because it works.
That said, every SAFE lb off you back is less pounding on your knees & joints, and that is a big issue on my knees after a life of sporting abuse.

I wasn't suggesting that you plan for an asteroid strike or nuclear war

Now thats a thought a titanium bowler hat and a carbon filter type 1 respirator but i cannot find room for my geiger counter in my pack now :-)

You could probably leave out the sunglasses. I've never taken them and only missed them once (2012). And I've rarely seen a midge on the Challenge.

People vary how much warmth they need in the evening but you seem a little short on clothes to me.

Otherwise it looks like a good list.

Vanessa

YesI'm probably being a little optimistic with the sunglasses, although they're not that dark so also wear them in windy conditions as well. I've dropped the smidge but keeping the net..just incase.

I tend to run on the warm side but if the weather looks unusually cold then I may swap out my down jacket for a heavier Alpkit one.

hi all, Im a bit worried about this tread, its not happened yet!!!! Im absolutely with Robin on this, plan for the worst
that the challenge can throw at you and believe me it can!! its not the end of days if you carry an extra Ib come on guys!!!
and besides most of you light weight grupies only do low level any way!!!!!

I do take sunglasses. Having fallen and had a nasty bang on my head (I think it was in 2013) which included bending, but not breaking my glasses (phew!!!) I realised how vulnerable I would be if I broke my glasses. Always carry a spare pair now - and being hopeful, that spare pair is my prescription sunglasses ....

I decided not to take my Rab Spark this May and took my Rab Mountain Dru instead. With the driving rain over the Cairngorm and some cold winds on other days I was glad of the winter jacket. I wouldn't have enjoyed my high days as much in my Spark.

Bin the deodorant and smell like a stag!