​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ben Nevis on Tripadvisor

Thank you for your review of the Tarf Hotel. We have now cancelled the MBA management contract and awarded it to Top Trump Hotels inc. To improve the intermittent power situation we will be diverting the Water of the Tarf through some turbines and away from the Falls. Unfortunately we cannot provide any scenic wind turbines in the area as The Donald has a principled objection. I'm sure this solution will please everyone.

The thing is, though ... the reviewer is kinda right in a way, isn't he?

This is a mountain that, if you're taking the "tourist" route from the Glen rather than any of the exciting climbers' routes on the North face, really has VERY little to recommend it OTHER than that it's the highest there is in this soggy little island group.

I mean, just suppose that Ben Macdui really WAS higher (as folk always used to think). How many people other than die-hard list-bashers would actually bother to traipse all the way up to the top?

But just because it's the highest, it attracts millions of tourists, most of whom come hopelessly ill-prepared, and this guy is probably doing them a service by deterring them from coming and adding to the erosion which results in the path being "improved" to within an inch of its life.

The reality is, there ARE many, MANY much more enjoyable mountains to climb in Scotland, right?

Its outrageous. Many other Scottish mountains are just the same. There's absolutely nothing at the top, just clouds and some bloke shouting into a mobile phone that he's on top of Craig McDougall or something, when clearly, he's not. I can't see the point really. At least Blackpool Tower has a zoo.

Its the same up Penyghent, apparently.

Suspect this TA review is the work of an anti-social mountain lover.