​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Camp Footwear

I'd say my skin is DWR...

Yes I'm also a fan of PHD kit, having recently purchased a "Design your own" bag, Minimus K series style I'm very impressed with their craftsmanship.

There's always Goose fat, but that's enough of skin creams

I have used crocs. Not too heavy, but quite bulky to carry.
Last 2 years I've used the Zuucs.
I leave the inners at home.
Great for river crossings without inners, because they dry quickly, and in town I just used the inners from my innov 8's which also helped dry them.

This year (if I get in) I am trying a different approach, with some Luna Sandals at 200g. They strap on tight, can be used for river crossings and also walking.
I may have to go with toe socks for them.
But, TBH I normally would wear the innov 8's in town too.

For toasty feet, I will be wearing the Goosefeet down socks.
I may take the over booties, not sure. Took them last year, never used them.

I'm looking at trying out some Tyvek overshoes (http://tinyurl.com/hv5fhbr) instead of my heavy sealskins. The idea being I can just wear my dry socks + booties and if I need to go outside the tent out a pair of Tyvek overshoes on.

You won't catch me walking round town in this getup though!

I like the idea of sandals, like you say great for river crossing, good way to air your feet out and if its a scorcher, to walk in.

Those Luna's look great! Might be a bit cold though.

Really love these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chung--Shi-Ballerina-Unisex-Adults/dp/B004TJ4U40/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1476535180&sr=8-9&keywords=chung+shi+dux+ballerinas

the holes are pretty high up so my feet stay dry except for in boggy areas

and they only weigh 127 grams the pair

quick to get in and out,

not good for walking a long way though because of the little "healthy" pressure point dots...

Andrew W
and in town I just used the inners from my innov 8's

Andrew - What do you mean about Inov 8 inners? Do you mean the insoles?

Judith
Andrew W
and in town I just used the inners from my innov 8's

Andrew - What do you mean about Inov 8 inners? Do you mean the insoles?

Yes.... 😉

Yowsa! Seems like Zuuks are still available oh yea Here's the Amazon link.I buy, you cry . . .

These boyz are the biz, uh huh . . . Limited sizes, but more of a size/colour choice for grrrrls. I just love these Zuuky-Zuuks - great around camp and no too shabby if you're stepping out to bars/cafes/whatever. Get 'em whilst they're still hot!('cos Hi-Tech have discontinued the range, and once they're gone they're gone)

Yohooo! Humph's Blue Bootee Brigade will live on!!

I managed to get a pair of Zuuks for him indoors recently but it was a bit of an effort in size 12. Easier if up to size 10 and even easier for women. I have used them for the last couple of challenges.

However they do get wet. Before that I used crocs but so bulky. Now I have posh crocs (Isabel la sandals in island green) which I love and which came on the Camino with me this autumn. Much more expensive than the ballet ones above though. Those look a really good deal.

http://www.crocs.co.uk/womens-crocs-isabella-sandal/202465,en_GB,pd.html?cid=689&cgid=promo-four#&origin=category&srule=top-sellers&start=5&sz=40&prefn1=gender&prefv1=Women&prefn2=variationSize&prefv2=&prefn3=refinementColor&prefv3=&prefn4=fitGuideFit&prefv4=&prefn5=lifestyle&prefv5=Sandals

PS I need to keep my feet cold.

I carry Keen Whisper Sandals. Lighter and less bulky than the Keen Venice H2O sandals I used to carry, but not exactly lightweight and bulkier than Zuuks, I use them in camp, nice toe protection for river crossings, dry quickly. I use colour co-ordinated thin merino socks in a social setting as I like to have warm feet. They have a sole that is substantial and cushioned enough to road walk with the pack, which is a godsend when the feet are sore and too puffy for the boots!
Just like the trail shoe/boot discussion, it's all personal choice!

There,s something no quite sane about this thread,am missing something, now camp cap headwear thats another thing!!!!

Almost similar.

I take my PHD booties and a pair of Sealskinz which I can wear over the top. If I need shoes the Sealskinz keep my feet dry (but not warm)

Crocs are the One True Way....anything else is just plain wrong.

I've got some down bootees to keep my tootsies warm if it gets a bit chilly.

John J

Jeez Jocys .. Crocs are like sooooo last year Man!

What like is the fit of the Zuuks?

I take size 43 boots and I assume that a size 43 Zukks would be the correct size.

I would be using them for both cocktail parties and river crossings, but with the latter, floating out of them could be a bit of a bummer.

Just looking to upgrade from my knockoff type of crocs but not able to try on before buying online. Not available locally.

I wear 11 UK boots Sandy, 11 UK trail shoes for the Chally, and my Zuuks are 11 and spot on. So yep... Boot size I reckon :-)

Just the answer I want Andy.
Thanks

Sandy, like you I take a 43,and Zuuk sizing is right on the money. My Zuuks are EU 43, UK 9. The lacing cord tightens up with a toggle so no chance of them slipping off when yr Dancing The Grizzly Bear . . .

Thanks Humphrey.
Good of you to confirm.
Not sure what a Grizzly Bear is apart from the hairy type.
This should be outwith the challenge perimeters unless they have changed the rules or rewilding Scotland.

Andrew W
John J

Jeez Jocys .. Crocs are like sooooo last year Man!

Yeah, but they're so stylish! And lightweight, cheap....well the clones are, comfy, not bothered by a river crossing or two, and just so cooool!

:-)