​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: water contamination/illness/filtration

Have drunk water from Highland burns and lochs for 50 years with no ill effects whatsoever. The only time I have filtered water is in the Angus hills, where the only source was a bog pool with what looked like deer **** in it (work out the **** - no need to filter water but looks like the content of these posts is filtered!).

I only ever drink water on the Challenge (unless I'm in a place where alcoholic beverages or Irn Bru are available ...), all taken from the burns.

I used to carry purification tablets and use them conscientiously. But when they outlawed the iodine-based ones, so you could only get chlorine-based ones, I had to stop because chlorine and my body do not agree (that's why I'm such a lousy swimmer ... could never go to swimming pools).

At first I experimented with a steripen (lot of faff and unreliable), but then I gave up and just accepted drinking it as it comes.

No ill effects. Yet.

A certain amount of common sense is obviously necessary. If you are following awatercourse up, always take your water from the side streams, never the main watercourse. Take water from a place where it is chattering angrily over the rocks, not flowin gslowly and turgidly. Try not to fall into the burn until after you've taken your drinking water from it. That sort of thing.

In 2015 I came home from the Challenge with Giardia.

In 2015 I came home from the Challenge with Giardia.

Giardia? Wasn't she that nice Italian girl we met in Inverness?

Well done mate!

oh! alan you old attention secure, that was probably the old cheese and undecanterd port you had,!!!