​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bothy-hopping all the way

Tell me about it! Way back in the day I spent eight ears living in a rural slum (aka a bothy) in Co Wicklow. We were young and in lurve . . . but it put me right off poorly constructed buildings with no damp courses solely built for the benefit of rapacious landlords and their tied tenants (enough of these egregious politics! Empress Teresa is watching! Ed.)

I've always found that bothies are colder in than out. And, like Louise, for me they seem to attract all manner of incipient health horrors. Many have Unpleasant Haunts. So my take is that whilst I can see the romantic appeal, I'll pass.

Don't get me wrong - I can entirely understand their fascination for certain of the congregation.

And, mind you, a Challenge predicated on bothies is no bad thang. Tho' if yr going for hard-core, then don't carry a shelter . . . (but deffo go for ear-lugs!)

Ha ha ... I'll certainly have the tent with me.

Most are bothies I already know and love ... although there are one or two I know of but have never been to as yet, or have passed by but never slept in or at.

Ooops ... forgot to mention Tarfside in the opening post. I'll be there too.

Intended bothies are Oban (please ... no overnight storm this year!!) - Corryhully - the one that floods on the south side of Arkaig - Lairig Leacach - Benalder Cott - Ruigh-Aitechain - Glencallater and the one just East of Spittal of Glenmuick whose name slips my mind at the moment.

(Sorry ... pposting his from memory, remote from my maps.)

Just remembered the name of the one that floods.

Invermallie.

Jeremy Burrows
Just remembered the name of the one that floods.

Invermallie.

Oh yes, have the T shirt and soggy underwear.

That said, the upstairs is ok. Problem us, you can't light a decent fire if it's flooded.
Mind you, the water level drops as rapidly as it rises.

Wow, enchantig movie! Thank you very much for the link!

Sabine Zawadzki
Wow, enchantig movie! Thank you very much for the link!

Yes it's a brilliant idea and a nicely put together video, I slept in Cadre Idris bothy the month before he got there and remember sticking my waterproof jacket on a bench. Next time I'll be hanging it up.

Thank you, Rich. Just enjoyed watching HOOKS. That's quite a walk to do a bit of DIY!

Did he ever find his house keys, I wonder?

Hooks; you're right Phil. It should be compulsory watching for all who intend to enter the Challenge, the section crossing the bog reminds me of crossing Rannoch Moor many years ago and the section on Macdui is reminiscent of meeting Colin Crawford near Broad Cairn on Challenge 15; May in Scotland! A very good example of what you are likely to receive.

Excellent video Rich!!

What a truly excellent little film. It quite made my day and induced definite feelings of itchy feet. I have to say that I admire his enthusiasm and his grit in filming during the most trying conditions. On such days, my camera stays in the pack and all I think about is finishing the day and getting back into the tent! Thanks so much Rich for drawing our attention to such a delight.

Pete, I think that you're exaggerating that day on Broad Cairn, which had quietly falling snow with no wind at all, one of the most unusual days I've had on the Challenge. Despite the snow, the mist and (later) the rain, it never felt even remotely threatening and there were quite a few Challengers in evidence, some nursing sore heads following the celebrations at Callater. I've certainly had worse conditions.