​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Newbie Questions

Hi Rich,

In my opinion, all the advice you have been given (and all from experienced Challengers!) is sound.

The only thing I would add is that the route you have outlined is going to be a sociable one - I would expect that you'll come across Challengers virtually every day. I always describe the Challenge as a solitary sociable walk, you do it on your own but you will always come across others heading for the east coast.

I look forward to meeting you next May, you're going to have a marvellous two weeks!

JJ

Hi John,

That sounds ideal!! I love the idea of a solo, self planned, self sufficient expedition yet good chance social encounters throughout.

Really looking forward to it and likewise hope to see you sometime in May!

Rich

Dear Rich

Welcome to the Challenge! I have been very interested to read the responses to your post, which are all wise words indeed.

I was also an experienced hill walker when I did my first Challenge. You might look at a multi-Munro Challenge day and reckon that you could do it, which I am sure you could. The question you should ask yourself is “Would I be capable of doing that every single day for two weeks?” More to the point, would you actually enjoy doing that every day for two weeks? If you are in doubt, then my advice is to plan a slightly less ambitious route and do the multi-Munro one the year after. Only you know what you are capable of.

I definitely find that planning the FWAs is much harder than the main route, especially planning to get back to the main route, but it looks like you are discovering that already.

Good luck and hope to see you in May.

Thanks Emma,

My FWA may well rule out some of the Munros id originally planned, like you say getting back to the main route is tricky without adding too much distance. Also, I'm starting to realise my main route has a few sections that commit and don't offer practical FWE's.

What are the forum rules re posting routes?

Also, silly question, but can you save your forum profile or do you have to add name, email, avatar each time?

Rich -

I think that 25 km a day for 14 days is just about ideal. That's what I always aim for - although my vetters will doutbless confirm that I seldome achieve it (and seldome actually walk exactly what I had on my route card, either ... but that's a whole different story!)

In recent years, I have been increasingly coming to the view that the best way to plan the route is to plan the FWAs first ... i.e. plan an entire crossing that is going to be achievable and enjoyable in rotten weather; and then to look at it, day by day, and say "if the sun's shining, what alternative places could I go on my way from this statrt point to that finish point?"

In other words ... I am thinking that hte smart play might be to plan an entire foul weather crossing, and then look out for the FAIR weather alternatives.

Hi Rich,

The first few times I did the Challenge I planned my high routes first and then worked FWAs round the high route. That lead me to doing some horrible days of road walking or trudging through bog when I was forced on to my FWA due to the weather or when slight injury made me feel going high and remote wasn't wise.

I now find a low level route I'd be happy to do and build a high route round it. Inevitably I end up making a few alterations to the low route after I've decided on my high days but I end up with a route I'm happy doing weather I go high or low.

Ian C.

Thanks Ian and Jeremy,

I've gone back to the drawing board and planning a FWE route as suggested, I'll then add sections I'd "like" to do if weather permits and I feel up to it.

I reckon my kit weighs around 10kg (inc 4-5 days of food), just need to lose 10kgs of body weight over the next few months and I'm all set, oh and get a place on the challenge of course!

Thanks for the info everyone!