​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oh no! Not another blog!

I have, finally, started writing up my 2016 crossing here: http://tworoutes.blogspot.co.uk/

(I don't know how to make it into one of those clicky links cos I'm not very clever.)

So far it is complete, with photos, up to the disaster on day 5. More to come when I get a moment.

Re: Oh no! Not another blog!

Marian - yes, indeed. And here's the thing. The immediate issue arose from what appeared at the time to be the wise decision to bail out of the Munros and escape to low level by the path which offered itself.

It's easy with hindsight to look back and say "I should have taken the available escape route from Lawers"; but at that stage I didn't know how punishing the descent to An Stuc was going to be. I was still ahead of schedule, with clouds gradually clearing, and no wind to speak of!

As for whether I escaped injury ... well, you'll need to read day 6 (when it's written up) to learn a bit more about that!

Good blog Jeremy.
Good to see a write up that shows the other side, although sorry you had to stop.
Really glad you are OK now.
An Stuc was a tough decent when we did it.
Poor visibility and nasty slipper scree.
Only technical for a short period, but that is all it takes.
The rest was a nice walk.
Hopefully, you'll be back, unless the teaching takes over.
Good luck with that as well sir. :-)

Andrew -

Thank you. As long as my application is successful I should be with you in May 2017; but after that, I am afraid, the chances of my returning before I turn 67 are looking slender.

Not totally out of hte question, though, as I gather that th eshortage of maths teachers is such that the good ones can make fairly outrageous demands of their employers. Whether a regular two week absence in May falls within the realms of the "outrageous but negotiable" or "outrageous and totally out of the question" remains to be seen.

I should say that after a pause to regroup I DID carry on walking ... so there is more to come when I get a chance to continue my write-up.

Hope to see you in 2017 then Jeremy