​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Six Map Crossings

The educational establishment's loss is our gain, it will be good to see you next year Jeremy!

My best effort is 6 maps + a bit....the bit was a tiny corner of a map near Bhran Cottage I think. I managed with a black & white photocopy of the guilty section.

JJ

Phil Lambert
Hi Jeremy!

When you say "this year" I assume from your use of the future tense that you really mean "next year" ???

Not at all.

The "Old Style" calendar year ran from 25 March to 24 March

The "New Style" calendar year runs from 1 January to 31 December

The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April

And a Challenge Year ends in Montrose, whereupon the following Challenge Year immediately begins, as the planning and anticipation mount ...

... so I mean THIS year ... the 2016 - 17 Challenge Year

I made 6-map crossings in 2007 (Strathcarron to Stonehaven), 2008 (Acharacle to Inverbervie) and 2012 (Glenelg to Collieston). Typically I need 7.
2015's Dornie to Catterline would have needed 9 Landrangers but I took only a small copied section of LR26.

As I always set off with all of the maps I will need (with covers removed!) it's a treat every couple of days to post home my finished maps. I kid myself that my pack is now much lighter!

Interesting observation Jeremy but probably not that difficult to achieve, as you recognise. I wonder though, what the number of maps might be at the other end of the spectrum. Ten maps would be a stretch but can anyone make claim to a dozen (or more)?