​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: An Open Letter !!

... to smell the grass and be at peace with our wonderful countryside.

A poetic champions compose :) Well done Terry!

Being able to read a map should be one of the basic skills for doing the Challenge ... Noticed that somebody was having trouble with that ...

Hope that nothing tears us apart :)

182 views and only two comments says it all i rest my case!!!!!!!

What's all this about being able to read a map?

Lord Elpus, on occasion, brings along some helpful tide tables. We invariably get across by dint of Lord Elpus' olfactory prowess; He can smell a barmaid's apron from twenty miles away.

He's not failed us so far.

Re: An Open Letter - Experience!!

We very much agree that all Challengers need to be able to read a map! and need sufficient experience to be able to do the Challenge safely. Believe us, where it looks like there is any doubt about this, we have gone back to the applicant/s for further enlightenment. We can only go by what people tell us on their experience forms and even then we have often managed to read between the lines......Several people were 'deferred' this year, as we suggested that they go out and get more experience and then apply again some time in the future. We explained to a few others exactly what the Challenge entailed and they removed themselves from the equation! We and the vetters go to a lot of trouble to explain likely pitfalls, especially to first time Challengers, but again we can only vet the route before us alongside the information given on the experience form. If there is any other means of finding out from people what their experience actually is, then we would like to hear it!!
But it was ever thus - this is nothing new - one of us completed the 1982,83,84 and 85 Challenges and can certainly vouch for inexperienced folk being around then.

It's not just experience to read a map but experience to look at the cloud on the hills and say "I'm not going up there today" and take a lower level route. It's the experience to know when you can't walk due to injury or ill health. I had this on the third day of the challenge when I picked up a D&V bug. A fellow challenger offered to walk with me from Cougie to Fort Augustus but I declined the offer saying that if I did walk I would probably end up a mountain recue statistic. As it happened that 24 hour rest meant I was able to continue walking the next day and complete the challenge, albeit as a partial crossing.

It's experience in all sorts of ways. To many people look at a hill and think "I'll be up that in a couple of hours" only to find themselves still slogging upwards four hours later. Getting pack weight down is a skill, as is working out food and where to pick up new supplies.

If only it were as simple as using a map and compass!

Paul I think your missing the point of the whole paragraph it's self. The navigation was only a small part of the main question, The main part was tit for tat and why complains was issued and therefore tannish people reputation and integrity

So what was the issue?