​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fort Augustus to Aviemore

Hi all, hope you all enjoyed the Crossing in May and that the weather was as good as it was here in Ireland. I'm doing my own crossing in June. Unfortunately no time off to join you all in May. I'm looking for some advice on getting from Fort Augustus to Aviemore. I've two days to do it. My plan is to head up to Glendoebeg Reservoir... follow the path towards Chalybeate Spring but cut off towards Stronelairg. From there head up Glenmarkie Burn. Camp near the top of it. I think thats about 35 km. Its pretty straightforward from there to Aviemore. Another 35 km or so via Coignafearn and Red Bothy. (Sorry I'm Irish I work in km!!)

My question is.... is Glenmarkie Burn relatively walkable. There's no path marked on it. Its a long day out so i don't want too much tiptoeing about.

Has anyone got any better ideas?

Thanks a mil.

Damien.

Re: Fort Augustus to Aviemore

Glen Markie is a pretty easy walk. I did it last year. Plenty of camping spots too.

Great, thanks so much.... and sorry now to double check.... thats the GlenMarkie Burn at Stronelairg... not the Glen Markie at Geal Charn Munro.... not very far away so could cause confusion!

Yep. Here's my account on walking up Glen Markie and beyond from last year https://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/2015/05/29/tgo-challenge-2015-day-6/

Thats exactly what I needed to know.Thank you so much. That'll be this years route!

Many, many thanks.