​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Question about rucsacks

Thank's for that insight Louise - anyone else got any thoughts?

Hi Lindy

I echo Louise's sentiment about the Osprey Exos, although I have the smaller 46 litre version. I love it. I asked a similar question in this thread and there was a comment about the the newer Exos possibly not being so good. People also suggested other packs I might be happy with. (I've still not got round to buying a new one, though).

This year I used an HMG (Hyperlite Mountain Gear) Windrider 3400 in 150 Dyneema.
Best pack I have ever used, and can realistically go from 30 to 55+ Litres.
Good Carry, and good big mesh side and front pocket.
Also good size hip belt pockets.
Weighs in around 950g

BUT... It ai'nt cheap. $330 before shipping, so a massive punt. Just because I like it, doesn't mean it is good for anyone else.
Might be OK if you were going to the US, then you don't get shipping and Customs additional charges.

I sold other stuff (in fact 2 rucksacks) to fund it.

An alternative, and my second favourite pack (I modified mine, but they have fixed the poor webbing issue in the newer ones) is an Gossamer Gear Gorilla.
This is only 48 litres, but I used mine on 2 challenges, and still have it.
Probably get one from BOB (see link above) for a tad under £200

Another new kid on the block is some of the MLD Packs (Mountain Laurel Designs)
I haven't got one, but they are getting some favourable comments. Also available in Cuben.

UK stockist of HMG packs Andy is on about http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk/product/hyperlite-mountain-gear-3400-southwest-pack/

I also reckon it is the best pack I have used, and I put Andy on to HMG and he was not disappointed. Be my pack on the next TGOC.

And the clicky link for HMG UK IS HERE

SORRY, that appears to be wrong.

HERE IT IS AGAIN

They are out of stock though at the moment

I have the exos 48. Which definitely holds waaay more than a regular 48 litre. The mesh pockets are huge. The hipbelt holds my snacks for the day. The mechanism for holding your walking poles means you can take them out/ put them away while walking. It adjusts well and is super comfortable. Obviously I love it.

Check out the smaller one. i packed all my gear into it in the shop before i bought it.

Enjoy!

I'm a bit late into this - I'll email you Lindy, just to make sure you see it before parting with dosh.

I have both the new (green & black) and the old (orange & grey) versions of the Exos58.... it's a long story. Whilst the new one is decent enough, the older model is ergonomically far superior.

The newer model is a bit lighter and the hip belt is improved but that's about it. The old model carries & loads better and is an all-round better sack.

Drop me an email and we can arrange a meet up, I'll bring both packs.

JJ