​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: When are you starting?

This Sunday 8th 10:00. Bus to Exeter, megabus to London, Caledonian sleeper to Inverness, train to Kyle of Lochalsh and finally hitch/bus to Uig (13:50 Monday). Trekking the Trotterish and Red Cullins to Broadford in order to start from Dornie as early as possible 04:00/05:00 Friday providing the hotel puts out 'the book' the night before. As an early bird having to wait until 09:00 'does my head in'! If it's a warm/hot crossing I'll be regularly breaking camp by 04:00 as I had the pleasure of doing on the last such crossing in 2010. Unfortunately, on that occasion I'd trekked the WHW out of Glasgow to my start in Oban with full winter kit, i.e., crampons and ice-axe, when sub-zero nighttime temperatures had been forecast for the week preceding the off.

P.S. Anyone out of Dornie/Shiel Bridge intending to follow the Cape Wrath trail variant via Kinloch Hourn/Glenfinnan and ferry over to Fort William?

Oliver

I think I shall probably take a slow stroll down from my B&B maybe around 09:00, after a good breakfast, to the sign out point, then maybe pop in to Tesco for a few bits and bobs on the way out of town, heading in a general easterly direction...that'll be enough of a Challenge for the first day...

Sounds like an ideal first day Louise🙌🙆

I like to take it easy on my hols Stormin', there are enough early mornings, rushing around and miles covered in daily life. This should be fun!

Exactly!

I think there are very few rules on the Challenge so I try to stick to them. It says you can sign out after 9 o'clock on the Friday, so that's what I do. If I don't like the rules I can always walk across Scotland on my own.

In fact that's what I did in 48 hours the weekend before last.

Admittedly a narrow bit of Scotland. But it did snow and hail a lot.

Ahhhh...that explains the 'steps'

Yup, unless I was heading for a ferry before 09:00 that has special dispensation to sign out early, I'd also always abide by the 09:00 rule

One of the finest things about the Challenge is the lack of elitism....each to their own challenge...it's neither a competition nor a race!

I never see the point of rushing off early in the morning but each to their own. We all walk our own Challenge. Sunset isn't until after 9pm and I don't intend to walk for more than 8 or 9 hours on my longest days. After breakfast at the Lochailort Inn I'll probably leave at about 9:20 then indulge in all the retail therapy Lochailort has to offer. This means I won't be leaving Lochailort until 9:20.

Ian C.

An elegant solution is to carry two watches - one set for Scotland and the other for Barbados, which is five hours behind us. So whilst you may appear to an outsider to be making a 9:00am start from, shall we say, Dornie, in fact you're up with the lark at 4:00am. Simples!

Sloths amongst us can reverse the process. Set your second watch to Uzbekistan time, and even tho' you start at 4:00am here you're still having a late and leisurely breakfast in Tashkent.

Each to his/her own for Challenge style! Frankly,I'm a great lover of Slow Movements. Brahms piano concerto #2 is my current favourite. Which commences with an exquisite cello melody.

For anyone wishing an early start I can arrange a march past by The Lochailort City Pipe Band, with full drum corp. Chase me Charlie is a lovely reveille tune.

Thank you for your kind offer John 5am Saturday morning would be good for me.

Ian C.

You'll still be in earshot. They're loud, er I mean tuneful. Just to get the tune burrowing into your brain just start off singing "Auntie Mary had a canary...".

Was it the sound of the pipes that made it depart.

JD - Do they still play that punk version of that old Scottish folk classic "If it wisnae fer yer wellies where wid ya be??" Ah yes, takes me back to the long winter nights in the close, toasting next door's cat on the stove...

I'll take that as a request, Alma. Let me know your start point and I'll get the Band there. The lads are a bit upset by Ian C's truculence. He's forgotten that they all have skean dubh down their socks.

Bump!

(Just because I enjoyed reading through the thread)

Love and kisses,

Lord High Everything Else