​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seat reservations on W Highland Line between Glasgow Queen Street and Mallaig

Just started getting my stuff together ready for the journey from Manchester to Scotland in 12 days' time and noticed that my supposed seat reservation just has asterisks where the carriage and seat number should be.

I note that 49 of us are starting from Mallaig so I imagine there'll be a fair number of people travelling up by train like me.

Has anyone else managed to get a proper seat reservation?

Thanks

Jennifer

Re: Seat reservations on W Highland Line between Glasgow Queen Street and Mallaig

I have just checked mine (just in case) and they have seat numbers on the second coupon rather than the ticket

Re: Seat reservations on W Highland Line between Glasgow Queen Street and Mallaig

Thank you Darren that answers my question that I ought to have a carriage and seat numbers where those asterisks are on my reservation coupon. I've now cancelled the original journey and rebooked and I do now have a proper reservation.

I will be in the same boat (train) from Glasgow to Mallaig. I'm not sure which train I'll be able to hit so I booked an anytime ticket.

Would it be better if actually booked on a specific train so I have a seat reservation? Or do we think I'll be fine with the anytime ticket?

I have a ticket for the 12:19 train but because I booked in advance no seats were allocated.
I have been assured that there will be a seat available for me but I have no faith in this promise.

Adding to my unease, there will be challengers going to Mallaig and Fort William (Lochailort starters) and also the back end of the train does not arrive at the same destination as the front, It divides at Crianlarich one bit going to Oban, not sure what end goes where, or is this a fallacy.

What has happened in previous years? Any challengers left behind?

Just getting a bit jittery, I would get the bus but I thought that I would go for a bit of comfort this year.

The 12.19 does indeed split at Crianlarich, one half going to Taynuilt and Oban and the other to Fort William and Mallaig. This is usually made clear on the display boards and on board announcements. With the temporary use of the low-level platforms usually employed for local services, and a convoluted route through the Glasgow suburbs, it won't be clear which is the front end of the sprinter units. Challengers usually wander aimlessly through the train and sit wherever they can find a seat until Crianlarich. There is plenty of time there to move to the appropriate coach. And the on board staff usually speak some English.