​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Assistance with paths on the ground.

Hi Louise. Have a good crossing btw.
I haven't looked at the satellite image as yet because they are usually quite hard to pick out when enclosed by forestry. I thought I would ask the experts here who probably have walked this route on the way to Spean Bridge or the Great Glen Way.
Thanks Alan.

Alan,

I went this way on stormy Sunday 2012.

I just followed the path SW as far as I could.

The path became a bit vague, I checked using my GPS and discovered that I was a few hundred yards from the position of the path on the map.
I found it was just a case of picking the most used spaces between the trees. Not really an issue.

Leaving the forest I crossed to the west side of the bealach to the north of Lochan Fhudair.

This was just a sea of water filled mini ponds.
This was done by climbing along a deer fence which was literally half deep in the water. This is not an exaggeration. If you did the challenge in 2012 you will believe it.

Hopefully you will have better conditions.

John Donahoe my route vetter had said “The area round Lochan Fhudair was the cause of Cameron/McDonald clan disputes so perhaps you can determine the watershed as there are outflows from either end”.

I recall it as pretty boggy.
If they had been there when I crossed they would have been playing water polo.

I’m sure it will be fine, all the best.

Sandy

Hi Sandy. I didn’t do the challenge in 2012 but i read lots about it.
Ok. So the path is possible. Great.
There used to be an old Drove Rd that went from Greenfield and along the west bank of the Fhudair. i believe it is very boggy and you would probably lose the herd if you took them that way today.
You are correct about the disputes. It is said that the waters were blocked from flowing one way or the other depending on payments, but it could be just nonsense.
I think when we get out of the forestry we will take the track which stays a bit higher on the east side and contours around to Allt cam Bhealaich and then drop down to Fedden as the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks for your help.

Yep, agree with Sandy about the vagueness of that SW path. It starts off well enough though very boggy in parts and there are way markers quite regularly. The last part before you exit the plantation is the vague bit. In 2014 I followed a bearing to the exit of the plantation and came out in more or less the right place. The path after that is also tricky to locate but I remember following old fence posts before heading up Sron a Choire Ghairbh.

Andy

Thanks Andy. The satellite image bears out what you did. The firebreaks look to head in the right direction and the saving grace is that it's not a long way to the exit. I will take a bearing and plod on.