​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Digital Mapping

Quick question on digital mapping - if I buy the Memory Map UK 50,000HD, am I tied in to Memory Map or are the maps in a standard format that I could use on other software.

Haven't had a chance to review the different software, but thought as the MM is such good value, I'd go for that. However if I find I don't like MM, can I use the maps on other packages ?

Thanks

Re: Digital Mapping

Hi John,

MM uses its own maps - obviously you can print them and export routes - but you cannot use them with - for instance - Viewranger. I assume other system are the same.

R

Thanks - I'll have a bit more of a play around with it before committing.

John Griffiths
Thanks - I'll have a bit more of a play around with it before committing.

Hi John try Backcountry navigator.
It's free and uses bing maps for free OS downloads.
Works fine on my Android phone.

I have used Memory Map for about a year now and find it is really good. You can install on three devices so I have it on my laptop, on my iPad and on my android phone.

The laptop installation is best for planning and printing out maps. The android version is great to use on the hill to check my position. The phone seems to be faster than my satmap gps and you can zoom in so I can read the screen without putting on my reading specs.

I can't think of a reason to use it with other software so not tried this.

All mapping software programmes use the same base maps, and the majority will run on multiple platforms. But they all use proprietary interfaces. So once you've made your choice you're locked in. It's the old Nikon/Canon, Ford/GM conversation. So you may want to take a look at additional functionality.

I happen to use Anquet, which I bought way back '02. But Memory Map is an excellent product. Make sure, however, that you can consolidate all your individual (day) routes into a single route that takes in the whole of your Challenge, and that you can then print this out as a series of pages with, for example, a 5% overlap. I've found that I can usually get my route onto around sixteen pages.

But the real fun begins once you've finalised your route and then use your digital mapping software's output to fly over your Challenge.

Export your consolidated route as a large (typically around 5MB) GPX file. And then convert this to KMZ format and import the result into Google Earth. You can now use Google Earth's Tour function to fly over your entire Challenge, oh yea! I set this up so I'm 100m above ground level, with the camera at 80 degrees.

It took about half-an-hour to fly from Strathcarron to Stonehaven, and gave a terrific overview of the terrain. If anyone would like detailed instructions send me an eMail off-forum.

Memory Map and Anquet both offer the French IGN 1:25000 mapping - I've used Anquet extensively in the field in both the French Pyrenees and French Alps, using an Android smartphone.