​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Steady! steady! me lovelies,steady,

How do you reverse proof a compass? I've never had the problem but would be interested to hear how you prevent a change in polarity (apart from the obvious of keeping it well away from my phone).

This is an interesting article:
http://www.mcofs.org.uk/navigation-reversed-polarity.asp
Any help?

Well I've never had this happen to me. But that's certainly an interesting piece. I've been in places - the Cuillin Ridge - where the compass won't get out of bed. And I know that compasses do have a curious attraction to metallic objects. But totally reversing polarity? How this be? And how? Anyone out there experienced this?

Its happened to me twice
1.2014 I camped beside the track on Coire Doe and didn't use the compass till on top of the Mona.s. Everything was roughly 180 degrees wrong. I reckon the tent was pitched on top of buried HT cables from the dam.
2. 2015 - I put this down to storing the compass next to phone and camera in waist belt.
If it happens again I will have no choice but to put it down to my magnetic personality!

Happened to me once on top of Crow Craigies on way over Jock's Road. I had a snack & a wander round then half-heartedly checked I was heading off the right way, only to find some minor landmarks looked familiar - I was headed back the way I'd come. Checked again: it had reversed polarity. No idea why, it had been around my neck under my jumper - NO metal there!

That compass was pretty old. Has anyone had it happen to a new one? And does it affect digital ones on GPS etc.?

It must have been your magnetic personality Jean.

Ian C.