​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TGOC Team Canada 2016

dara ohuiginn
Only thing I am concerned about it the temperatures to be expected. Currently we are planning to be warm enough down to 0 degrees.
Anyone with ideas on how to send a package from Glasgow to the Park Hotel will be appreciated.

Hello 'Team Canada.'

In the past on the Challenge we have experienced night temperatures of around Minus 6 Celsius, so if you're a cold sleeper I would beef up your sleeping bags if you want a comfortable night.

You can send a package to Montrose from the Post Office in Sauchiehall Street.

Glasgow city post offices are at 177 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3ER, and 136 West Nile Street, G1 2RD, generally open from 0900 to 1730 hours. The latter is marginally closer to Buchanan Bus Station and Queens Street and Central rail stations.

Welcome Team Canada eh
I think Alan is right. You don't want to spend the night alternating between oxygen deprived warm and wet with your head in the bag and freezing with your head out. I am following my Canadian sister's advice and taking my winter bag for the first time this year.

Alan is so right about the temperatures.

I still take a light sleeping bag - rated 0 degrees C. But, I wear extra down/synthetic clothing that's good for well below zero degrees.

It really is being prepared for 4 seasons in the time of the Challenge crossing.

All good to 0 degrees. Added layers of clothing if needed below that. I was thinking of bringing an old fashioned hot jar but .... a little heavy. My general rules for all trips:
Don't be cold
Don't be wet
Don't be cold
Don't be hungry
And never ever be exhausted.
Then the only result is having a great time.
Has anyone used meths stoves on the tgoc before?

Oh, Dara, I am usually cold, wet or hungry at least once in the 12 days crossing no matter what Preparations I may do. I am not team Canada but grew up in sight of Vancouver Island and now in the process of moving back to Seattle. It will be good to meet the Canadian contingent and share stories. By the way, please save a space for me up there if Trump wins our presidential election. So depressing!

Hi Dara,

Lots of people, myself included, use meths on the challenge. Sometimes even to cook with.

Look forward to meeting up with TC.

R

Hi Dara,

I use meths for cooking on.
I find that meths is fairly easy to source.
Hardware stores, camping shops and chemists normally stock meths in 500ml plastic bottles.
I may have answered a question that you have not asked, if so please forgive me.
The reason I use meths as opposed to the rocket type gas stoves is that I like a bit of peace and quiet.
It may take a bit longer but I am in no hurry.

All the best, I may meet you somewhere on the crossing,
Sandy

I just noticed that your original post you mentioned temperature.

That can be a minor problem when getting the meths burner fired up.
I just use a tiny bit of cotton, from a cotton ball, teased out and laid slightly offset, across the top of the burner.
The cotton is easy to ignite, one end falls into the meths setting fire to it.
This is my method in the mornings, other folk may have different ideas.

Apologies again if you know all this and is not related to your question.