​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Minimalist camp shoe

Hi all,
I know the Hi Tec Zuuk & Saucony Hattoris were good contenders a couple of years back.
I ordered some Saucony's but they were a bit small and as they no longer seem to make them I can't get a bigger size in the women's in the colour I want (I don't want pink - (Louise will understand me on that one!)).
I really liked the weight & comfort of the Saucony & am not too keen on the Zuuk - can anyone suggest a good alternative?
Thanks
Vicky

Re: Minimalist camp shoe

I haven't found an alternative as lightweight as these, but as I have some extra criteria, I've plumped for something a little heavier anyway. But at least they're purple!

Vicky

Under the UOT (Universal Order of Things) it is impossible for a mere male to understand what a female may or may not like in the way of shoes.

However a friend of mine uses Freet Leap 4+1 shoes. She swears by them and at circa 325g per pair and available at around £30 they may be suitable for just camp shoe use.

You never know you may start a whole new fashion trend on the TGO

Best Regards

Ray

A bit left field, but check out cheapo espadrilles from the big stores. I've got some M&S ones from three years ago that weigh 177g for the pair. Fine for pottering around camp and for wandering around hotels. You can even make them a bit water resistant with some Nikwax spray.

P.S. If you want something for wading, then look at Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure. 232g per pair.

Vicky,

I got a pair of Merrell Pacers 2 years ago and find them good for wading, walking a few miles on roads/tracks if necessary, and for around camp. The pair weighs 330g (size 39/40) and they dry off quickly. You might find an out-of-date pair nice and cheap now. Like you, I'd love the perfect extra pair of shoes that weigh next to nothing, but will fit all these roles. The next nearest might be a pair of Inov-8 Rocklite 260 or 290. My pair weigh 448g (size 6.5).

Can I suggest that either aqua shoes from decathlon (extremely cheap and good value) or Inov8 Evoskin would fit the bill of being minimalist/very lightweight and serve a multi-purpose tag in that for a short period of time they can be worn around camp, in the shower and more particularly for river crossings where keeping your hiking boot/shoes is of paramount importance for most people. Nobody wants to carry more than is essentially necessary to our individual needs!

Oliver

Vivobarefoot for me. Not sure what the model is and I can't see them on the current website, although they are identical to the women's Ultra II but mine also have a removable neoprene inner. My size 45s consist of an outer (250g / pair)and a removable neoprene inner (199g / pair). I just take the outers - they are like a pair of skinny crocs but more secure fitting. Great for wading and camp routine but not much else.

I got some of these.
Mind you, I got them in a sale at a bit less than this.
And mine weren't the women's pair.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/viv278/vivobarefoot-ultra-2-women's-watersports-shoes/]ViviBarefoot Ultra II

Dry easily, and OK about camp, or even in town.

You can also if you want, slip some inners in them from trail shoes for a bit more arch support.

And, unlike the Zuuc's, they are not mesh, so don't hold as much water, and unlike Crocs, not bulky, and Humph doesn't hate them.
Although, knowing Humph, he probably hates these too

Vivo Barefoot Ultra, and just take the outer shell. They weigh less than 250g, extremely comfortable, great for wading, and I even walked a couple of half days in mine across boggy ground. Taken these on the last two TGOC's and they're now a pack staple.

I love saucony but now prefer Altra 2.5's . They have a wide toebox to reduce blisters and also a zero drop which is more natural. I use trail runners exclusively when hiking these days. The Salomon GTX are ok but I found they are stiff and gave me blisters so i think sizing is the issue there. See you on the trail.
Dara
Team Canada TGOC 2016 Torridon to Montrose.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions they've all been really helpful. I found some Mizuno wave 4 that weigh 105g each - although not sure if I'm completely comfortable with the fit - so enjoying looking through your suggestions to think about a possible alternative. :)

Looking forward to seeing you all en route.
Safe crossings people! :)