​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Black Bothy (ruin)

Hi Paul

If you follow the burns you'll be on grassy trods for the most part until you get higher up, and then you'll find shorter heathers and then almost arctic flora. It's delightful. There might be the occasional peat hag in the bealachs but nothing awful.

The last time we were in this area we spotted an otter in the Feshie.

Brilliant, thanks for that Alan, have adjusted my route accordingly.

Hi Paul
On last year’s Challenge I was intending camping just south of the 536 spot height in the “y” of the streams at NN 917871 but ended a long day from Newtonmore about 1km short on a superb large flat pitch that is shown on the map as an island in the River Feshie at NN 906872. The following day I walked E to my intended pitch then NE towards the path then on to Braemar. There were peat hags to the north of the Geldie but nothing to cause any concern to someone your age. The best route would be by or to the west of the boundary line.
The previous year (not on the Challenge, way down the standby list) I crossed Allt a Chaorainn descending from Carn an Fhidhleir to pick up the path to Geldie Lodge where there were a few groughy peat hags approaching the Allt but again nothing of concern.
Back in 2007 I followed the boundary over An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fhidhleir to Monadh Mor and remembering the ground being very easy going and would imagine the slopes from Allt a Chaorainn to An Sgarsoch would be similar.
“Where’s the path” is a great website for checking satellite photograph against the OS maps if you don’t use it already. (http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm)
I’m sure you’ll enjoy the remote area with expansive views, hopefully.
I’ll email you a few photos.
Cheers
Chris