​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 4 day training walk in the Lake District

Fisherground campsite in ESkdale let me leave a tent and my car there whilst I went off camping for a few days. You just have to explain what you're doing. Short days and access to Scafell Pike and the Eskdale tops (Esk Pike, Crinkles, Harter Fell etc) are all easily available from there and you can use the campsite's request stop for Lisle Ratty to shorten your first day's walking allowing you to get as far as, say, Great Moss in a reasonably easy walk.
The NT campsite at Langdale also let me leave a car there for a couple of days.
And I suspect that the campsite at Chapel House Farm in Borrowdale would let you leave a car in their car park for a small but beautifully formed fee.
A 1:25k OS map will reveal lots and lots of delightful places to camp on the way to and from Scafell Pike from any of these sites, although, when in The Ponds, due to gross over population of semi-continent wild campers, specially around popular and well-clichéd wild camping spots (Angle Tarn, Styhead Tarn and so on), I wouldn't consider drinking the water or looking too closely under boulders or in places which seem ideal and discreet places to squat.
Some of the local Herdwicks have nicer toilet habits, to be fair.
The message here is not to camp next to the obvious tarns sporting flat, green grass and rings of stones unless you enjoy dysentery.

Re: 4 day training walk in the Lake District

Mike has proffered some excellent advice. I live in Patterdale, so another possibility might be to begin at Side Farm campsite, Patterdale, where no probs leaving a car by arrangement, and most scenic site right by Ullswater. Exploring the eastern fells is easy from here, and much quieter with loads of wild camping possibilities - the only place to watch poo-wise is Angle Tarn (popular with DofE groups), but they camp v close to the tarn and there are many beautiful little places with fab views a bit away. You can go across to Martindale, High Street, Harter Fell etc, or the other way to the Dodds/Helvellyn range, or up Deepdale to Fairfield etc.
Also you could pop in to ours for a cuppa!