​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gelder Shiel

Having just spent a few nights at the splendidly refurbished Gelder Shiel bothy, I thought that Challengers might be interested to know the current state of things following the floods.

The track leading to the bothy from Easter Balmoral is badly washed out in places, particularly the last section before the buildings, but is passable on foot. All other tracks in the area have suffered similar damage. It's very possible that Balmoral Estate may have effected repairs before May but, at present, the power of the water is plain to see. Apparently, the water reached to within three feet of the bothy and the neighbouring lodge must have suffered some water ingress.

The bridge just south of the bothy, quite miraculously, remains intact, but is now perched high and dry on its gabions, the river having forced a deep new course around it. This too may be repaired before the Challenge but, if not, spate conditions will see the torrent cut the bridge off from the north.

The path to the south of the bothy, leading up to the track at Little Conachcraig, was always a poor thing, but the river has now taken the chance to claim sections of its course and there are several deep gaps. Again, one can still go this way, but anticipate several detours through deep heather. And I would expect no repairs to take place here.

Colin

Re: Gelder Shiel

Not on our route this year Colin, but top information. Many Thanks.

Thanks for this information Colin. I hope to come this way to overnight in Geldershiel Shiel. This very helpful.

I remember that as one very cold bothy ...

Andy Howell

It was warm on Hurricane Monday (almost too warm at one point).

There were also 16 in that night think

Andrew W
Andy Howell

It was warm on Hurricane Monday (almost too warm at one point).

There were also 16 in that night think

I think that night might be why I don't use my petrol stove anymore.

Ian C.