​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tent or Tarp

Good question. And a simple answer.

Irrespective of yr choice of shelter, take the worst case.

You should be able to pitch in:
Complete darkness
High wind
Driving rain
No secured location

And also consider speed. In foul conditions you may want to get the shelter up in the least possible time, get inside, change into dry gear and get some class of food into you.

Each to his/her own. I've pitched in these conditions in far more extreme locales than the TGOC with both an Hilleberg Acto and Terra Nova Laserlight. That's what these rigs are designed for.

I can fully understand the attractions of tarps/tarptents. Each to his/her own. However, do consider your worst case, and then make an informed decision.

Everything Humph says is bang on.

I've used a variety of tents / Tarps over the years.
To my mind, maybe it's an age thing.

I want a door.
Had a TS for 2 challenges, missed the door.

And as a southern softy, I need my inner.

So for me last year I used an MLD Solomid.
This year I will be using an MLD Speedmid.
With the inner from the Solomid.

I agree with Humph as to what is important. My choice is a Scarp 1. I hasten to add there is nothing wrong with a Trailstar and I considered getting one but decided on the Scarp because I prefer having a mainly solid inner and I love the 2 doors. There a huge number of good shelters available these days and it comes down to personal taste. As is often the case there is no one right answer.

Ian C.

Hi Ian

Humphrey Weightman
You should be able to pitch in:
Complete darkness
High wind
Driving rain
No secured location

I agree with the 'High Wind' and 'Driving rain' but I'm not sure I understand what is meant by 'No secured location.'

I'm not sure why you would want to wait to pitch your shelter in complete darkness but it is important to be able to recover from a shelter knock-down in the middle of the night, so I suppose that amounts to the same thing.

I've used an Akto (Agnes) on twelve crossings, a Stephenson's Warmlite 2C (Wanda) on six, and a Trailstar (Trinnie) with an Oooknest on the last two. I loved my Akto but she was too heavy and too bulky and awkward to pack in my 44L sack. I adored my Warmlite (far, far sturdier, roomier & lighter than an Akto) but my favourite by a country mile is Trinnie Trailstar.

Pitched correctly (and I do mean that!) and at an appropriate height for the incoming weather, she is incredibly sturdy, and amazingly spacious. I've slept two in her in really horrid weather very successfully. She is also large enough for three or four guests for an impromptu drinks party. Most important, that, for a Challenge.

In the tricky weather that Humph describes it takes about the same time to pitch the Trailstar as an Akto, but then you have to add in the time to erect the Oooknest. But, by this point you have an incredibly robust shelter within which to do that. The inner can be a fiddle if the ground is tussocky as it may mean having to leave the shelter to go outside to attach the nest's guys to the Trailstar's pegging points that you would otherwise not be able to reach because of the tussocks. I would say this is the only downside. However, some hardy Challengers forgo the inner for more of a 'tarp experience' - which is not for me.

A Trailstar would NOT be my preferred option is you were expecting to camp in snow with spindrift; It will get everywhere.

For my solo Challenges I've always used my Akto which has, without fail, provided excellent shelter and is very easy and quick to erect. I love my Akto and have a huge amount of confidence in it. It ticks all of Humphrey's boxes.

I've recently bought a Luxe Hexpeak v4 because I'm going to be setting out on a prolonged trip soon and the extra headroom will make my trip more comfortable - I hope. Unfortunately the recent crap weather has meant that my new shelter hasn't been used yet, but from what I can see so far it should do the job. I hope it will tick all of Humphrey's boxes and also have the advantage of extra headroom. Oh, and they're not expensive.

Personally I wouldn't use a tarp. I like to be able to zip myself in - keeps the bugs out! I don't regard Alan and Andrew's shelters as being tarps, but full on tents - ****ed good ones at that.

JJ

It doesnt have to be a trailstar but it was Scotland hiking that made me switch to a floorless shelter with decent headroom.

I find it pure luxury to have a shelter you can pitch in a few minutes, and then being able to go inside with your sodden clothes and equipement and your muddy boots.

alan.sloman

A Trailstar would NOT be my preferred option is you were expecting to camp in snow with spindrift; It will get everywhere.

Our first floorless shelter was an MSR twin sisters, wich we used for winter mountain hiking ( snow skirts and very easy to setup )

But the snow skirt is adding weight ( it is not good either for ventilation outside of snow camping , but you can roll them up with an easy myog transformation ) so if winter snow camping is not compulsary you can find much lighter option with or without doors.

Ian,

The Trailstar has become quite popular on the Challenge although people seem to want to add an inner tent or even front door to it which then makes it a tent. On the plus side it is very roomy and it is bomb proof in high wind, so long as it is pitched end into the wind. On the downside it has a hell of a footprint and there's no squeezing into a little patch of flat and dry land!

The main thing I would consider is weight. One you start adding other features you are moving into tent territory and you are probably best off considering alongside a tent!

Personally, I am not fussed about door so long as you have the right design. But if a door seems right then Andrew's suggestion is a good one/ I've used a Mountain Laurel Duo Mid on the Challenge four or five times without any real complaints. You do indeed get a bit of extra head room in the middle of the shelter. These tents come in two fabrics — cuben (expensive but very light and strong) and Sinylon (heavier and more affordable); there is no difference in performance.

If you do decide to go with the Trailstar or the ML Mids make sure you have taken them out a few time before the walk. You don't want to do be getting to understand pitching on night 1!

Hi Ian,

I will use a Tarptent Notch. 850g all in (mesh inner, sil outer, v-pegs and tent bag). I'm 189cm and it fits me better than my TN Laser Comp 1, but I certainly couldn't throw a party in it like a Trailstar! It does have a smaller footprint though.

Hi Ian, glad you're back on this year.

I'm a tent fan, I like to be able to shut out creatures great and small, rain and wind. I've used the TN Laser Comp for the last 5 years and its robustness has amazed me. Like you, I fancy a bit more space and bought a Stratospire 1 after last Challenge, but need more practice pitching in vile conditions before risking it this year.

My back-up tent is the Vango Helium 200, and at about 1.4kg that's not such a daft option. It clings to the ground like a limpet, has a tiny footprint, no external guys to trip over, and is easy to pitch. There's enough room to bring your rucksack in with you as you'll know. I had probably one of the first Helium 200s and used it extensively, finally passing it on to a youngster doing DofE, but I bought the updated model which had solved 2 out of 3 of the design issues that really bugged me. I still use it when I'm backpacking with a friend and it's a better tent than many give it credit for. It's also quite cheap.

You have consider budget and weight whichever you go for, and don't forget to add in the weight of extra guys, decent pegs and other modifications you may want to make. I find an additional ground sheet extremely useful and have used a £1 one from Poundland that only weighs about 180g, or you can use secondary glazing film from B&Q that's lighter but a lot more fiddly to fold up and to lay out.

Let us know what you finally choose.

Or something between a tent and a tarp. I have done two crossings with a Tarptent Contrail which has been around for a few years but, I feel, has never got the notice it deserves. 780g, bugproof and relatively bombproof. Very quick to put up and with a small footprint.

My other option is a Hilleberg Nallo which is over 1000g heavier. But I have gone back to carrying that. It is luxury in comparison. The primary problem with the tarptent is that it is considerably colder and I have to carry extra weight elsewhere to compensate.

Like everyone says ... there is no right answer.

Colin Bennett

I wrangled with the tent or tarp argument a couple
of years ago and fell into the tent camp, as it were.
Get the right tent and it can be used as a single skin affair. Tarp.
If you go for a tent, I would suggest plumping for an outer first, or pitch as one style. That way you can peel back the inner until required and give yourself more room under the single skin.

It's like the quilt v sleeping bag argument: tent without an inner equals tarp. Quilt with a zip equals sleeping bag. Tent without an inner equals tarp.

I have an old (are there any others?) Robert Saunders Backpacker S, that worked great as a single skin tent/tarp and was bomb proof with the low end pushed into the wind - akin to the Trailstar? But I liked the inner to take the breeze off my face.

As a replacement for the Backpacker S, I would readily have bought a Scarptent but it's silver only, no green, and silver on a scottish moorland is a bit glam rock meets Tartan. The Akto is great, feels solidly built and has stood up to high winds with ease - it is also green.

But as other posters have said: each to their own. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

PS: I picked my new Akto for £349 - which seems like a snip compared with the £499 oft quoted.

Thanks for all your suggestions/advice.

As someone who was brought up on Shortbread and Condensed milk (I'm 5ft 7in + a bit) height has never been a big issue for me particularly in a tent but space and weight are and as the years are rolling on I tend to faff about sorting out my kit in the mornings and there's nothing worse than when it's chucking down trying to get your kit ready for the day.

It's a bit like a good marriage, all about compromise (just ask my boss sorry wife !!!). Anyway I've had a good look at a few options including the Stratospire 2 and Sil Hexpeak V4 but I keep coming back to either the TN Laser Comp 2 or the MLD Trailstar. Ahh decisions decisions decisions I may just flick a coin.

Hi Ian,

Plenty of space in the TN Laser Comp 1 and lots under the flysheet for boots, drying washing, the stove, even the rucksack, so why carry extra weight? Good luck whatever you choose and may you find a good bargain.

I love my Laser Comp, loads of room for comfort and rummaging, I got it in the Terra Nova sale three years ago for £90...still haven't found any faults with it. The bargains aren't quite so good just now, but worth a look:
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/sale/?page=2&sort=&limit=&keyword=&category=

Make the coin land on the Trailstar side. Come a wild night in the hills when it shrugs of bad weather with ease you'll be a happy camper.

Trailstar it is then. My wife reckons Iv'e spent more time choosing a new tent than buying our last house. Too true, got to get the priorities right.