​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Solo Entrants Sharing Rooms in B&Bs

I guess B&B owners vary in their attitude to Challengers. One who had no space for me offered to feed me if I wanted to camp on their grass. Phone calls help as they can develop into chats which often lead onto something worthwhile.

I hope you get some takers Val. It's a good idea as there are many points where routes converge and people traditionally take advantage of some civilisation between wild camps e.g. Fort Augustus, Braemar etc.

The difficulty is that you may find the sharer has had to re-route or is seriously delayed. I would imagine there is a greater incidence of change of plan with solo walkers (or perhaps not?) though i never had to radically change mine.

The only time I ever shared was at House of Mark where the then landlady Bea Rawlinson would arbitrarily put Challengers of the same sex in together depending on who turned up. It seemed to work very well.

Thanks for your positive reply. It will be interesting to see if I can persuade anyone else to join me. Blair Atholl is my next stop where I'll be looking for a companion. I liked your comment about Bea. Definitely the best use of space.
Val

I think some solo Challengers don't book ahead, but take a chance on finding something as and when they want it. I know one solo lady Challenger who has been very successful doing it this way and hasn't often had to pay more than she wanted or failed. I prefer to know when and where I have a bed to look forward to, book ahead and choose carefully, I haven't failed yet and my route has never changed in such a way that I've not got there (except the year I had to retire...), but it can be frustrating and time consuming at times. I'm sorted for this year.
Good luck.

Like you I prefer to know that I have a bed for the night and somewhere to dry off my tent and wash- clothes and myself! Should never say "never" - so far have never had to change my timing on a route. Enjoy your crossing this year, Val