​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Waterproof Socks?

Couldn't make the connection to the "Down Bootees" but for anyone who doesn't know:

As Tucas are based in Spain (no import charges) and do an excellent range of synthetic and down products - including down socks. Marco will customise products too.

FWIW I have no problem with wet trail shoes. Wet feet soon feel warm. In camp - off come the wet feet gear and on goes dry socks and down bootees.

I've walked in wet leather boots and they are far more uncomfortable than wet trail shoes.

Agree. Those blister free warm feet boot boys know nothing. Watch me and Andy wading freezing cold rivers in trail shoes in March (it was painful). We hiked snow top peaks the day before. Boots who needs them and warm feet. Not us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5GRq6fP_I

Ray Disson
Andy Andy Andy

Down bootees!

After shipping costs, import duty and VAT you'll be paying about £35 per sock !!!

I'm sure Alan would come round and massage your tootsies every night for less than that.

No what you need are these

http://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-100302.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&showPLA=true&option=6674&gclid=COmkoIKr1soCFRBsGwodl5EPVw

I am not walking with Al & Phil so no massage this year.
I already have the Down socks.
I bought them back from the US several years ago.
AND... They are the dogs bits....

Plus one for the trail shoes and simply using merino "work" socks in the sleeping bag. Feet are good as new in the morning. There is about 2 minutes discomfort per day when you first put the wet socks and shoes back on, then you don't notice it.

I've used Meindl leather boots and Merrell mid Goretex lined boots on the TGOC before and the trail shoes suit me the best by some distance.

Another benefit is that I don't need walking poles as the shoes give me better grip and stability - it's the future!

Andy

Indeed Andy.

I have used trail shoes since 2009 & never had a problem.
As long as you look after your feet.
But.. Now't worse than popping out for a meander, or pee and your feet have got all wet again.
Hence the semi waterproof sock idea (I already use them fro trail running with the dog).

As to walking poles.
My knees dictate that I do use them.
So does my tent, that needs a pole to hold it up.
Indeed, since I started using poles, I have had far fewer knee issues.
They occur trail running (yes, it's my own fault)

I'm giving these a tria at the moment,fit is snug inside more mile trail runners
https://www.showerspass.com/products/crosspoint-waterproof-crew-socks

Accepting that no solution is fully waterproof all the time, I use British Army MVP (Moisture Vapour Permeable)boot liners inside my trail shoes. They are lighter than membrane socks, more hard wearing, and easier to dry out if they are overwhelmed by a sudden dip in a bog. Not to everyone's liking but they work for me.