​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How to get enough carbs down my neck?

Cheese & Macaroni pie, the one true way :-)

Taking olive oil is a brilliant idea, apart from the extra calories it also makes your rehydrated cardboard meal a nicer consistency. Take a few cloves of garlic too. They do nowt for energy but they really give your meal a kick in the pants.

Eccles cakes + instant custard = terrific.
Dried fruit + a good pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon + instant custard = tasty, warming, calories.

JJ

I am sure beer contains carbs John.
Doesn't it?

Dehydrated beer

http://www.today.com/food/beer-concentrate-lets-you-take-brews-outdoor-adventure-2D11741579

Ordinary porridge oats - i.e. not the nice-but-useless instant porridge is a very efficient fuel, is good for your cholesterol and for your bowels and doesn't weigh very much. I pre-mix it with powdered milk and a bit of sugar. The trick, to avoid burning porridge onto the bottom of your pot, is to put the porridge into boiling water and then let it cook by itself for about ten minutes and, maybe just gently warming it up a bit before stuffing it down your neck. The ten ,minutes taken whilst it's brewing can be filled by drinking the cuppa you made just before despoiling your pot with all that porridge, removing the slug from your boot or refitting the lens to your spectacles after you slept on them last night. I hardly ever have issues cleaning the pot since I usually camp with my little dog. If you haven't got a dog, or aren't allowed one cos its the TGO, then a little water, warmed up slightly and a pan sponge/scrubber thingy (apols for the technical jargon here)will do the trick.
Be like Bill and eat porridge

I too use porridge: At home mix porridge oats, dried milk and lots of dried fruit/chopped nuts - varied mix so I don't get bored. Don't bother cooking it - just pour on boiling water when I make my breakfast cup of tea. Stir up and put in my cozy. Leave to soak while I sip tea and wake up. By the time my tea is gone the porridge is lovely and thick. Last stir then eat! Yummy start to my day.

(This is so good I also do it when working away from home and staying in a Travelodge)

My other staple is oatcakes with Primula 'squeezy cheese' from a tube.

I always carry dried fruit and nuts. Brazil nuts are very good to chomp on. Good flavour, and don't leave your mouth feeling dry.

I also go for the porridge, fruit and nuts mix which I eat every day, but I go for the J Oliver 'pukkolla' recipe, which is just to put the mix in a bowl with milk and leave it in the fridge overnight. A bit of extra milk in the morning and it's ready to eat. I guess you could do this on the Challenge by putting the mix in a kliplok tub. I actually prefer it cold so should save a bit on gas! I suppose you could heat it as well. The oats seem to soak up the milk very well and it's certainly tasty.

I'd also vote for porridge but I use Maggi coconut milk powder, available from Tesco. I think it has a far better taste than milk powder. The other thing I'd recommend is having a desert with your evening meal. If you dehydrate your own food try dehydrating Jamaica Ginger Bread. It's great sunk in instant custard.

Ian C.