​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Clova to Tarfside FWA

Hi William

I'm not so sure that that's a great idea. In really foul weather you'll take a battering on the way up to Green Hill, and I would not want to be up high for a long time, so would probably take the Burn of Slidderies down to the ruin and the Falls of Unich, to get off the hill as soon as possible.

And in appalling weather, I would miss Tarfside completely and head out down Glen Clova to the coast.

I have submitted more or less that route a couple of times and have never been asked for a FWA. I think we are answering different questions Alan. I agree if there was appalling weather William would need to re-route.

Ian C.

The need for a FWA is not based solely on the terrain; other factors, such as previous experience of adverse Scottish conditions, are considered. This historic right of way from Glen Clova to Glen Lee and Glen Esk has little or no indication on the ground for much of its length and the featureless ground is especially difficult to navigate in whiteout or other severe weather. If in doubt, plan one out!