​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Walking poles

Hi Wilf,

I have used walking poles for 20 years. The science says they take some load off your legs. The benefits they give me are: (1) More power / speed for ascents and flat walking, (2)braking effect when going down hill, (3) stability on rough terrain, (4) excellent '3rd leg' for fording rivers, (5) pole vaulting over streams and bogs (they take quite a weight!), and finally (6) they hold my 'Notch' Tarptent up. I use Cotswold's Fitzan Ultralight poles at 330g for the pair. They are good and importantly, they are far cheaper than other poles. I used to use poles with shock absorbers - they are fine if you are walking on hard surfaces but as a qualified physiotherapist I remain sceptical about the advertising suggesting they reducing repetitive strain on wrists when walking cross country. Related to your question, my Notch Tarptent uses walking poles. I am 189cm tall and it fits me far better than my TN Laser Comp. The Notch has uses 4 or 6 pegs depending on the weather. I use 2 carbon pegs from my TN Laser Comp and 4 Ti V pegs (Alpkit do a great deal) for stormy weather.

Best wishes,

Simon