​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Updated guide to the Deeside Way

Challengers planning to walk on bits of the Deeside Way from Ballater may find my wee guide useful. I've updated it since last year with some information about places to camp and about how things have changed in Ballater (fire and floods) and the Aberdeen by-pass.

Aberdeen to Ballater on the Deeside Way

Re: Updated guide to the Deeside Way

Great stuff, Ian. Mind you, some of our more directionally challenged Auld Legends might struggle to use it. Should they walk backwards from Ballater to Aberdeen?

Click here for walking backwards video. . . (Click the white on red arrow in the centre of the screen to start playing)

JD. Only if they can do it while singing the old Spike Milligan song; with suitably amended lyrics of course.

I'm pretty sure that there will be a few Challengers who will think of some appropriate lyrics, Peter. And for inspiration, here is the original 78 rpm recording.

I used the Deeside Way as part of my 2015 Challenge. The booklet put together by Ian is a great resource, although as pointed out by others, you do need to follow it in reverse!

Can I make the following comments (speaking in east to west terms!)
The wooded uphill bit before Kincardine O’ Neill is a bit confusing and not well signposted,as Ian points out, with a number of tracks going off in various directions. However, near the highest part of the track, the tracks going off do have a different surface, so just keep on the same type of surface and you will get there.

The tearoom in Kincardine O’ Neill. OK, on the surface it seems bit twee, but I stopped there. The bloke running the shop was very friendly, giving advice about the next bit of the Deeside Way. He also offered to fill my water bottle. Good tea and cakes. Highly recommended.

There are a few places where signposting is a bit vague, but think they may be placed for east to west walkers. There are a few places where the Way is close to the road where Google Earth Streetview is useful (researched at home beforehand) – From Aboyne, finding the start of the unofficial path going past Aboyne Loch as described in Ian’s booklet. Also the bit before Peterculter which is on road is also worth checking out.

Note that from Peterculter, the Deeside Way is on a tarmac track – just like walking on the road.

Some of us complained bitterly about the tarmac but the Council insisted that it was to allow wheelchairs to use the path. In fact, there is a couple of communities for people with various disabilities on the way so you meet folk in wheelchairs quite regularly. So, I suppose it is fair enough.

Not as bad as on the road (no cars) but you do have to watch out for bikes.

Love your guide, Ian, very professional and helpful.