​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tent pegs

Hi Brian

I think a lot depends on what shelter/tent you will be using; The bigger the shelter, generally speaking, the larger the pegs required to hold it down.

With my old Akto the 9" Easton golden nails were enough for the corner and pole guys and 6" nails for the corner ground pegs. These pegs could generally be wriggled enough to get purchase in stony ground as well.

However, for a Trailstar on peat I use 6x MSR red snow stakes (for the main seam guys and door guy) and 4x Clamcleat titanium Tornadoes for the mid-panel guys.

For stony ground I also take two extra Tornados (making 6 main guys using Tornadoes) and four titanium skewers for the mid-panel guys. This makes a total carried of 6 MSR snow stakes, 6x Clamcleat titanium Tornadoes and four titanium pins.

This may seem a little like overkill, but if during the night a door peg was to be pulled the Trailstar would lose integrity and be in Aberdeen in a matter of minutes. The extra weight (which is minimal in reality) is well worth the peace of mind.

It's also a good idea to use Gossamer Gear's tip on self tensioning guylines if you use a silnylon shelter.

LINK

Re: Tent pegs

Thank you for the detailed responses everyone. I think I'm set now. Going to pick up some v-pegs to go with my thick carbon fiber pegs. That way I'll have a variety.

Thanks Alan for that link to set up the self-tensioning guy lines. I've seen that in the past but had totally forgotten about it.