​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tent pegs

Last year I took a combination of Easton Gold 8" pegs and titanium pins. The previous year, I had some MSR Blizzards, but that was probably overkill

You need pegs that are good enough to hold in soft wet ground.

I've always been happy with the standard pegs issued with my Akto: 5 ea 6" square section stakes and 6" 'V' pegs.

6" pegs in the main are OK, if v pegs.
Much depends on the ground conditions
If very wet ground you may need longer pegs, especially if it is windy.

My tent requires 8 pegs.

I carry 4 spares as well.

So my peg selection is

4 Clamcleat titanium v pegs.
4 9" Easton stakes.
Spares
2 Clamcleatb9" Ti stakes
2 Clamcleat 6" v stakes

That way I cater for wet & rocky ground.

Many UL types would say 4 is overkill.

But once you've lost or damaged a peg, or not been able to get them into rocky ground, a safety net is good.

Even with these extras, my full kit sack with 4 days food, still comes in at under 27lb.

Hi Brian

I take a mix of pegs to cover different types of ground. Mainly I use v profile standard length pegs. These hold well in soft ground.

I also have some fairly chunky skewers which are a bit longer than the v pegs. I use these if the ground is rocky and I'm struggling to get the v pegs in deep enough; I can usually wiggle them around until I can find a thin rock-free spot. The extra length can be helpful if I have to stick them in at a shallow angle.

I also take some of the Terra Nova "cocktail stick" pegs which came with my Laser Competition. They're generally useless on most surfaces that I camp on as they're impossible to see in long grass and they're too short - but I sometimes use them to provide extra security for other pegs on really windy nights.

As I no longer have a complete set of any kind of pegs I tend to use the v-pegs for tensioning the guy lines and the skewers for pegging out the fly. The mix of pegs means I have the flexibility to cope with most pitches and weather conditions.

Hi Brian

I think a lot depends on what shelter/tent you will be using; The bigger the shelter, generally speaking, the larger the pegs required to hold it down.

With my old Akto the 9" Easton golden nails were enough for the corner and pole guys and 6" nails for the corner ground pegs. These pegs could generally be wriggled enough to get purchase in stony ground as well.

However, for a Trailstar on peat I use 6x MSR red snow stakes (for the main seam guys and door guy) and 4x Clamcleat titanium Tornadoes for the mid-panel guys.

For stony ground I also take two extra Tornados (making 6 main guys using Tornadoes) and four titanium skewers for the mid-panel guys. This makes a total carried of 6 MSR snow stakes, 6x Clamcleat titanium Tornadoes and four titanium pins.

This may seem a little like overkill, but if during the night a door peg was to be pulled the Trailstar would lose integrity and be in Aberdeen in a matter of minutes. The extra weight (which is minimal in reality) is well worth the peace of mind.

It's also a good idea to use Gossamer Gear's tip on self tensioning guylines if you use a silnylon shelter.

LINK

Thank you for the detailed responses everyone. I think I'm set now. Going to pick up some v-pegs to go with my thick carbon fiber pegs. That way I'll have a variety.

Thanks Alan for that link to set up the self-tensioning guy lines. I've seen that in the past but had totally forgotten about it.