​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fort Augustus

Fort Augustus? Looking for a warm bed, possibly a place to do laundry, and pick up supplies. Concerning supplies, I will either mail a package or, if available, just purchase supplies there? Recommendations

THANKS

Re: Fort Augustus

Brad,

There are 2 hostels, Stravaiger's Lodge and Morag's Lodge, and one camp site, all OK as far as I'm aware but it's 8 years since I used Morag's hostel there. FA, imho, is a bit of a tourist trap and not great for supplies as everything is overpriced. Haven't used the bars/restaurants but I'm sure there are enough. I left a parcel at Cumberlands camp site 3 years ago and they were very helpful. Several hotels if you want to go up-market.

Good luck.

Morag's Lodge is excellent value for money. We stayed there last year.
For more money Bank House B&B is very friendly.

The normal popular watering hole with mega fish dishes is there Lock Inn. On the right walking down the hill by the Locks.

There are 2 supermarkets good for supplies.

One at the bottom of the locks.
The other round the corner by the garage.

There will be quite a few Challengers there if you are there on night 3 or 4.

The Bank House is excellent

I stayed at Morag's Lodge this year. A good hostel but the drying room is small. I managed to get my laundry dry but they also offer a laundry service where they will wash and dry everything for you for a small cost.

hi.is the camp site still open there,,

Passing through in the autumn we noticed the Spar has shut down. Not sure where the second supermarket or if it is still open. If either of us is passing between now and May we'll check it out.

I'm not sure when yo were last there Terry but the old site (a bit out of the village) has closed down. There is a new — and very fine — site almost right in the village. Take the main route out (S SW), cross a little bridge and it is on your left. Very comfortable and I think they have a drying room as well. Very convenient for popping back into the village.